Tail Light Seal Replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdM

Reaction score
Between the Texas Hill Country and North Idaho
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code, a 427 Dart based Windsor, Pro Flo 4, Tremec 5 speed, A/C, 12.7:1 steering conversion, SoT coil over and Dakota Digital dash.
I am replacing the seals on my 73 Mach 1 and note that there was some kind or sealant/glue between the seal and lens. What should I use when I install the new seals?

I just did mine on my 73 Mach 1 for the museum.

I also replaced the lens and aluminum with the Daniel Carpenter that are identical to original with Ford logo and #'s. I also used his seals which are much better than the Ford originals were.

While out clean the surface and brush on some POR to seal up the surface. If you have any holes you can patch with fiberglass and epoxy for a quick fix.

I myself use rope calk between the lens and gasket and between the tail light panel and the gasket. You can get the 3-M strip caulk at your automotive paint supply.

While I have mine apart I blasted the inside of the white housing with walnut hulls and then sprayed with satin Krylon Fusion for plastic makes them much brighter. You can spray the outside also looks original. That parking light in pic was done with it also.

The factory got very little paint on the inside surface so they rusted fast. Another reason I do not use running water to wash my Mustangs only wrung out micro fiber towels.

Edm,

I bought the 3M Scotchgard Clear Paint Protection Bulk Film Roll 6-by-60-inches. I cut small strips and applied to the edge of the openings. This is to help from chipping the paint, due to vibration, and rust preventive. I also installed small strips to the edge of the side light cutouts. It will also help with the underside of the saddle bag area from debris from the rear tires.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotchgard-Clear-Paint-Protection-60-inches/dp/B004VG8DS0/ref=sr_1_4?crid=AEFY4N9FEWAW&keywords=3m+scotchgard+paint+protection+film&qid=1560168033&s=automotive&sprefix=3m+scot%2Cautomotive%2C139&sr=1-4

Last edited by a moderator:
Back