Taillight blackout panel- Not honeycomb?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Sportsroof
2010 Mustang GT
When I got my car years ago it came with a taillamp panel that isn't the honeycomb one that seems to be the only kind I've seen. The actual sheet metal on the car was replaced from another car and had no holes drilled to mount it up (I did it later) so I don't know if the blackout piece is original to the car or not. Either way I like it and will use it on the car, just wondering if anyone has seen this before.

'72 Sportsroof
dbebfae778dcc63e4cbc67ee74210fc3.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Yes the honeycomb panel is one of the few things that were unique to a Mach 1. 

The metal textured panel was on Decor Group and Grande for sure. When you go back with it remember to black out the area between the tail light and the panel this is an original in pic. This is a decor group 73 vert.. At factory they sprayed black then taped it off and sprayed body color.

There were many models and content levels that mandated what tail light panel treatment a Mustang received. Base hardtop, convertibles, and Grandes received the textured or camera case finish metal applique. The Boss 351 and base sports roof models had a body-color painted rear tail light panel with no applique. In early Feb 71 production Ford added the metal textured applique and moldings to the base sports roof models. The honeycomb panel was standard on the Mach 1 and was also available with optional Decor options and select special editions throughout the 71-73 production run.    :)

Back