TCP Front Coil-Over Conversion Installed on My 73!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally got to the actual install part after spending the last few weekends cleaning, scraping, de-greasing and painting!

Here's a photo of the finished install of the Total Control Products conversion kit...amazing stuff!

CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO I DID ON THE INSTALL!

uUCl6sw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Will do! It was the easiest major install I've ever done. The words "bolt right in" actually apply and I don't even need the car on the ground to know it will out-perform my expectations... but it will make me crazy to stare at this gorgeous stuff until then!

Autoedit,

How long before you are on the road? We have seen these wonderful upgrades to the front suspension to the mustangs and yours has the wow, I want one factor!! What would be good to see is more of the on the road feedback after the upgrade. How does it drive? Is there a lot more noise/vibration feedback from the strut rods,solid mounted upper control arms and upgraded suspension verses the factory setup? It it about the same or less? I searched the Suspension, Handling, Brakes, Wheels and Tires forum and did not find much on the feedback of the driving experience after the upgrade. Please let us know and or respond back to your thread here on how the driving experience is.

Thanks,

mustang7173

Like the way it looks. but I have a suggestion. If you will turn the shock around 180 degrees, the adjustment knobs will be accessible with the wheels on.
Roger that! Thanks for the suggestion...stuff like that is super helpful!

Autoedit,

How long before you are on the road? We have seen these wonderful upgrades to the front suspension to the mustangs and yours has the wow, I want one factor!! What would be good to see is more of the on the road feedback after the upgrade. How does it drive? Is there a lot more noise/vibration feedback from the strut rods,solid mounted upper control arms and upgraded suspension verses the factory setup? It it about the same or less? I searched the Suspension, Handling, Brakes, Wheels and Tires forum and did not find much on the feedback of the driving experience after the upgrade. Please let us know and or respond back to your thread here on how the driving experience is.

Thanks,

mustang7173
I will absolutely shoot a bunch of video of this vehicle in action with the new parts...the plan is to show the direct comparison from the stock handling to the new stuff. Then I want to show the different setups to make it a good commuter/ canyon carver and then transition to track day/ auto cross type activities. I do have about 6 months of work left on the car and this pesky chore of finding an engine but I most definitely will keep you guys up to date with the performance upgrades!

This stuff just looks so solid and correct.

Nice..Front coil-over conversion is the only way to fly IMHO

I looked long & hard at the TCP setup too..But ended up with the SOT setup..I liked the fact I could get matched leafs & shocks FOR the rear so this way I have a complete balanced package..Very important..I also prefer spending my money with small independent business...When I have questions or need advice I speak right to the owner designer..Not corporate..You should see what TCP recommends for the rear buy it install it IF you want the full benfit of the front conversion..I have driven mine but Not much since I still need to do the alignment but all I can say is WOW..car drives like a 2014 not a 1972..NO COMPARISON.

101_0548.JPG

I looked long & hard at the TCP setup too..But ended up with the SOT setup..I liked the fact I could get matched leafs & shocks FOR the rear so this way I have a complete balanced package..Very important..I also prefer spending my money with small independent business...When I have questions or need advice I speak right to the owner designer..Not corporate..You should see what TCP recommends for the rear buy it install it IF you want the full benfit of the front conversion..I have driven mine but Not much since I still need to do the alignment but all I can say is WOW..car drives like a 2014 not a 1972..NO COMPARISON.
I totally agree on the "balance" issue and after having such a fantastic experience with the install of this stuff...will complete the rear with TCP components for sure. Also BTW, my experience with them was very good...I was on the phone with my guy Carl there a couple of times with questions and they were EXTREMELY helpful and knowledgeable...also the 100% made right here in California did it for me.

Here's the one tidbit that really blew me away...they didn't recommend the upper control arm mounting hole drop on the 71-73 because Ford had already moved them into a better position by this model.

Music to my ears!

I totally agree on the "balance" issue and after having such a fantastic experience with the install of this stuff...will complete the rear with TCP components for sure. Also BTW, my experience with them was very good...I was on the phone with my guy Carl there a couple of times with questions and they were EXTREMELY helpful and knowledgeable...also the 100% made right here in California did it for me.

Here's the one tidbit that really blew me away...they didn't recommend the upper control arm mounting hole drop on the 71-73 because Ford had already moved them into a better position by this model.
Thats Great to know..My experience with Shaun at Street or track was great just as well..So good that I have bought installed 2 sets of his conversions..Made in the U.S.A. I already knew about not doing the shelby drop on our cars If you look at the 2 vids of my installs you will see no upper arm drop..The SOT & TCP are both well made kits..I guess its like tools..You can buy a crescent wrench from snap on or mac.. both high quality... both get the job done..Just personal preference..

Looks AWESOME Jason! All that hard work paid off; the inside of the fenderwell and towers looks great. It's like jewelery in a fancy box now. Tiffany has nothing on this picture, haha!

I finally got to the actual install part after spending the last few weekends cleaning, scraping, de-greasing and painting!

Here's a photo of the finished install of the Total Control Products conversion kit...amazing stuff! I shot video and will get it posted in the next few days!

uUCl6sw.jpg

I finally got the video of the install finished and thought I should put that here...Really awesome stuff!

Great video, Jason! I'm glad you're pleased with all the parts and can't wait for you to get that beast on the road. I'm always excited to help when you call us looking for solutions for your projects. I have always loved your builds because they have a regular guy feel with an extra bit of attention to detail.

I haven't planned that out yet since I'm not sure what the engine will be and whether it will have a super charger or not...I am confident that it could be solved with some creative use of the TCP catalog and some ingenuity! I'll post everything I learn up here for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Back