Tdc

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommyt

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang
Mach 1
I have never built an engine. What I would like to know is how does tdc get moved on the dampener.

What I mean is on my car the engine a 351 c 71my which has been rebuilt and strengthened tdc doesnt line up with the #1 piston and the distributor.

The dampener looks original and kind of ratty. Some of the rubber has fell out of it.

I just drew me a new tdc but it’s on the other side of the dampener from the factory tdc. So has that dampener moved or can you build an engine with an upgraded cam that makes the tdc read different. 
   Also the time is coming I’m gonna build an engine. Thanks in advance.

The camshaft has nothing to do with TDC, the damper hub is connected directly to the crankshaft, the crankshaft moves the pistons to TDC.

The outer ring with the timing markings on it is held in the correct position in relation to the hub and crankshaft by rubber or an elastomeric. Because yours has bits of rubber falling out it is likely the bond between the timing ring and rubber has failed, allowing the ring to rotate around the hub.

Edit: You'll have 2 events where TDC shows on the timing ring, one at the top of the exhaust stroke, the other at the top of the compression stroke. The compression TDC is what timing and the distributor are set to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don that's how I made my mark. I made sure piston 1 was on compression distributor at one and marked the dampener. Replacing the dampener is on the list.Thanks for the reply👍

Just a suggestion. You might want to see if you can locate an engine shop that will let you come and just watch them build an engine. Or even check with local technical school and see if they have a course you can take. It just helps a lot to have someone that have been there done that to keep things moving right. I was lucky that my dad worked on his vehicles and our next door neighbor had a junk yard. So I was all over helping him pull parts and do stuff. He actually sold me a really nice valve spring compressor when I was just a kid I still use it. The old guy that had the junk yard was not good on engines for sure. His theory on building an engine it had to be tight when new, lol. I was building a flathead V-8 and he came over to look. I had the crank in and all the pistons and rods connected. I put a ratchet on the crank bolt and rotated it by hand. He said it would blow up first time I started it, lol it was too loose. I have bore it and ground the crank. I always install the bearings, torque them to spec and measure the bearings and grind the crank to fit the bearings. I do not use a number out of a book. Just a more accurate way to do it. The engine never did blow. I would do burn outs in front of his house.
When me and my son were kart racing he built his first engine at 7 years old. He had to use degree wheel to set the cam and did it all on his own. We tore our engine down every week we raced and never had one blow up.
My nephew use to sit on the cowl of the car while I worked on my old hot rod and he builds his own engines now. Read books, manuals and watch videos it is not difficult but you do have to do it right or you will have issues.

Back