Tempest's 1972 Mustang Mach 1 restoration process...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tempestairbrush

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1 Q code 4 speed
1973 Mustang fastback
1972 Mustang Mach 1 Q code 4 speed
So this 72 Mustang will be built from me collecting 2 different Mach 1’s and had to assemble them into one car to get a title in NC for it as they won’t title a car in pieces, Now that I have the title in hand I started to disassemble it and begin the rebuild process. I started this project because it was actually from a buddy that realized it was going to become a much larger project then he wanted to undertake. The driveline, suspension, some major body components, and everything else that could be salvaged from a donor 1971 mustang M code that had some really bad sun roofs and then a tree landed on it. To make it worse it sat unmoved and uncovered in a field for over 10 years so all the floors were rusted out and much more work was needed to fix the car then it was worth. I found the body of a 1972 mustang Q code Mach 1 that looked like it had been sold a few times and stripped a little bit at a time of most of its parts, however the paint was factory color, except for the rear which was primer with some fiberglass filler in certain areas, worse than I thought when I started stripping it. The plan for the car as of right now is just too make these two cars into one nice completely show quality ride and hopefully find it a good home, as I got two more of these year mustangs I also want to bring back to life. I am trying not to plan things too far in advance because plans always seem to change in the long run but since it’s a cross between the two different mustangs I’m not too worried to staying to the true factory restoration. The engine will be the 351C out of the 71 and I have both a C6 and a 4 speed toploader to choose from on transmissions. I also am not sure what direction on paint to take yet and am open for suggestions that are a bit creative. I was thinking on doing more of a modern paint scheme without going too crazy and losing the car in the paint but was also thinking some minor airbrushing accents or something custom like that as I know a pretty good airbrush artist. I guess one step at a time and hopefully before the end of the year this mustang will be on the road again for another 40+ years. You can check out the whole build process with a lot more pictures on facebook in this link

1972 Mustang build on Facebook

017.JPG019.JPG023.jpg062.JPG069.JPG099 stripped the car of everything except 4 tires.JPG104 everything removed from the engine bay.JPG115 cutting out the old repair and fixing it.JPG116 another area that needs some attention.JPG119 patche tacked into place.JPG126 passenger side patch tacked into place.JPG133 passenger side patch panel ready for a little metal filler.JPG143 passenger side door panel striped down to bare metal.JPG149 a little metal fille rand the patch work on the roof is done.JPG160 a rear shot of the trunk and roof striped.JPG174 the trunk ready for the new panel.JPG175 another shot of the trunk floor completely removed.JPG180 the rear seat frame supports removed to slide the trunk panel through the inside of the car.JPG185 another shot of the trunk floor installed.JPG204 the passenger side quarter cut out to access the trunk panel.JPG213 rear shot of the mustang with all the paint striped off the rear section.JPG223 before the floor work on the driver side rear seat pan.JPG229 a little more rust to cut out and time to rebuild the door jam on the driver side.JPG231 the quarter panel test fitted.JPG234 fixing the door jam with metal patches.JPG259 inner wheel house welded into place.JPG260 inner wheel house outside welded into place.JPG270 the quarter panel set to weld into place.JPG290 driver side quarter panel in primer.JPG295 passenger side rocker set into place and ready to weld.JPG302 passenger side quarter and wheel house removed.JPG320 painted the inner sturcture of the passenger side to preven further rust issues.JPG328 quarter panel tacked int place.JPG334 just need to finish welding the panel.JPG347.JPG364.JPG371.JPG380.JPG

Thanks guys i apprechiate it, I will post more when i get some more progress made!!!

Is the 73 sitting outside one of your cars to restore? Nice work BTW.

Yea that 73 is my Mustang that really got me into these cars, i have had it for about 12 years now and use it as my daily driver, but when i calear up the schedule will make it a really nice car one day.

Is the 73 sitting outside one of your cars to restore? Nice work BTW.

I believe it was if i remember correctly as that was a picture when we picked up the car up in Maryland from the guy that stripped a couple parts out of the car before i bought it for his other projects.

Is that a 66 in the garage?

Updated pictures on the build process form the past couple weeks, got the floor pans replaced and all finished up, modified some couple seat mounts to fit in the fastback, and removed the rusted out cowl section and in the process of replacing it with a new one.

397.JPG400.JPG411.JPG412.JPG413.JPG414.JPG415.JPG417.JPG425.JPG428.JPG431.JPG387.JPG392.JPG

Great Job! and it's good to see you bringing this Mach back to life again.

Quick update on my build progress......a couple brand new parts welded into the car including the whole entire cowl assembly, radiator support, and battery inner fender apron. I also removed the old bolt in cross member and welded in the stock one i bought off one of the users on this site off one of their parts cars. Hopefully soon ill post up some more progress.

462.JPG467.JPG491.JPG518.JPG522.JPG525.JPG529.JPG

Back