That legendary Duff....

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Guess what I bought yesterday at the gas station? A German brewery makes and distributes this. Seems like Fox tried to sue them but they were out of luck.

I am no beer drinker, but it will look nice on a shelve in the garage.

IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_0487.JPG

simpson-duff-beer-internet-homer.jpg

That's cool...

I heard they where not aloud to export it to the U.S. They said it might make the kids start drinking hahaha. Like I needed help to start drinking as a teen hahaharofl

Yeah, but what I don't understand is that these guys seem to get away with it. I mean let's face it, the Australian Duff has only the name, but this here has the logo, the fonts, the whole "corporate identity" of the Simpson's Duff beer. (It doesn't however mention the Simpsons or Matt Groening or anything like that on the labels.)

When they could make the Australian maker stop production only because of the name, then these guys here are really lucking out!

I bought this, because I am a huge fan of the Simpsons, but honestly I think it sucks to jump on that bandwagon and "steal" and market a product that you have no relation to at all. Plus it has to become an immediate success, as the brand name and look is well known and has been "promoted" by others.

I think I'll brew some "Slurm" and sell it......... :dodgy:

I agree that it shouldn't be done, but being a Simpsons fan myself there would be no moral argument strong enough to stop me from grabbing a six-pack off the shelf if they ever became available here in Australia!

Well I found this legal stuff on google which might explain it.

Under German trademark law, any registered trademark has to be used within five years of registering, and after that constantly - otherwise anyone can file for the trademark to be removed and register it themselves. Since 20th Century Fox didn't sell licenses for Duff Beer (anywhere worldwide), that's probably what happened here - some company went and got "Duff Beer" registered as their own trademark with German registration.

Note that this beer isn't advertised in connection with The Simpsons anywhere, and that there's a line somewhere on the website stating that the product is only intended for the German market.

Having a paralegal as a girlfriend rubs off on you hahahaha:whistling:

Eric,

Thank you for that post. That actually might be the back door.

Funny though, as especially in Germany they are going nuts over everything even remotely connected to copyright. Some scan or programs for burning CDs on the computer even have some restrictions if you install them in German because of their strict copyright laws.... Weird!

Now for that "Benderbräu"...... Where?!? Gotta have it! dancebanana

I agree that it shouldn't be done, but being a Simpsons fan myself there would be no moral argument strong enough to stop me from grabbing a six-pack off the shelf if they ever became available here in Australia!
Yeah, that's just why I bought it. Seems like we're acting just they way they planned! :)

If I remember well, it is not allowed to send food and beverage to Australia, or is it? Otherwise, I might grab a six pack and send it to you......:whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember well, it is not allowed to send food and beverage to Australia, or is it? Otherwise, I might grab a six pack and send it to you......:whistling:
Thanks for the offer Luxstang, but I think there's a whole lot of customs issues with importing alcoholic beverages :-/

I don't think Benderbrau beer really exists, but a bit of nice artwork here which could be printed and attached to a beer bottle for nice effect:

Thanks for the offer Luxstang, but I think there's a whole lot of customs issues with importing alcoholic beverages :-/

I don't think Benderbrau beer really exists, but a bit of nice artwork here which could be printed and attached to a beer bottle for nice effect:

Thanx for the links. I might do just that,print it and stick it to a bottle. :)

Hmm, I can imagine that customs believe there is no need for even more alcohol in Australia! :)

What about empty bottles? That should work, shouldn't it?

Hmm, I can imagine that customs believe there is no need for even more alcohol in Australia! :)

Sometimes the guys at Australian Customs let alcohol through, but only when they are too drunk themselves to notice. That's about only about 30 percent of the time so the odds aren't great........

Empties huh, there'd be no law against that! I tell you what, if you did feel like shooting a sixpack my way I could reimburse you the cost of the beer and postage through Paypal; if the caps were removed carefully without bending them too much I could refill the bottles and recap them over here. And because I'd be paying the costs you could drink the beer yourself and get half drunk at my expense! ::chili::

Brett

Sometimes the guys at Australian Customs let alcohol through, but only when they are too drunk themselves to notice. That's about only about 30 percent of the time so the odds aren't great........

Empties huh, there'd be no law against that! I tell you what, if you did feel like shooting a sixpack my way I could reimburse you the cost of the beer and postage through Paypal; if the caps were removed carefully without bending them too much I could refill the bottles and recap them over here. And because I'd be paying the costs you could drink the beer yourself and get half drunk at my expense! ::chili::

Brett
Hi Brett,

You got PM.

Back