The Dragon 318 in 12

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it is a great ride. I want to take the Mach 1 there someday. I have been going there for 21 years. It was less crowded then. My brother told me about the Hell Roads show. I have my DVR set.

Fred and Greg Deals Gap 2011 l.jpg

Deals gap 09 lr.jpg

dcnv46.PNG

Deals Gap 05 closeup 3.jpg

dt18.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Growing up in East Tennessee I learned to drive on such roads. The Dragon is the most popular but there are many others. It's very fun to go home with a sporty car or any bike!

I keep hearing about this road and that is a great video about it.

I use to enjoy driving RT 91 from Damascus, Virginia to Mountain City, Tenessee. Lot of good hairpin turns on that streach and it runs alongside of a river. Very scenic.

When I spent a week in Clinton, TN a few years back I drove a road on the recommendation of a local. I think it was 116 from Lake City toward Oak Ridge. Would that be correct Roy? It was a very cool, scenic ride. I wished I had the Mustang indtead of my F-150.

I would love to drive the Dragon sometime.

When I spent a week in Clinton, TN a few years back I drove a road on the recommendation of a local. I think it was 116 from Lake City toward Oak Ridge. Would that be correct Roy? It was a very cool, scenic ride. I wished I had the Mustang indtead of my F-150.

yes thats the road, and just to let you know, thats one road that if you slow down and roll the windows down you WILL hear banjo music. That is not a very outsider friendly area. When I say outsiders I mean Family trees without branches. The Dragon is way to crowded but is an awesome ride

gap11.bmp

Attachments

• gap11.bmp
    351.6 KB · Views: 9

yes thats the road, and just to let you know, thats one road that if you slow down and roll the windows down you WILL hear banjo music. That is not a very outsider friendly area. When I say outsiders I mean Family trees without branches. The Dragon is way to crowded but is an awesome ride
That reminds me of the road (Highway 83?) that connects with Going To The Sun Road in Glacier National Park. But there are so many tourists sticking cameras out the window that you can't really get up to speed, which is a good thing. Pretty gnarly anyway.

Doc

Hey I thought the banjo music was coming from the WDVX camper studio! Is / was that out there too? :D

Hey I thought the banjo music was coming from the WDVX camper studio! Is / was that out there too? :D
rofl

rofl
If you hear Dueling Banjos you might be in trouble!!

[video=youtube]

I have riden the Dragon several times, and it is a bit crowded on the weekends. Also some other good roads in the area, like the Cherehala Skyway, and then on the Cashiers NC area, Pisgah National Forest, and of course the Blue Ridge Pkwy, from Cherokee NC, up through Asheville and beyond!

My claim to fame.... last ride was 15 years ago in May. Since the wifey was sporting our new accessory she couldnt go. I was given permission for a vacation by myself.... so I drug a ragtag group of 11 with me. Gave them a tour of my old stomping grounds of Tennessee's finest roads spinning off from Memphis up to Lynchberg through Morristown and on to Sweetwater and then to 68. Wifey had bought me a set of Cobra pipes for my Wing... not loud but hearty sounding as I pushed her through turns not knowing if I would make it back. We had a fearless group of Wing riders, so you had to be on your toes everyone depended on it. When we made our way back to civilization called the Blue Ridge Pkwy the fog was set in and so thick you couldnt see the bike in front of you at 10 feet!!! We passed pull outs not even knowing they were there. I survived came back home sold the bike and bought my 65 SS Malibu.

The thing I learned was we were dumb...and many others were right out STUPID.....thinking their awesome skills were cool. I watched and heard of several deaths during that week. I'd go back in the Mach...but not on a bike again....not because of the road... IDIOTS

Seems like a cool drive. After seeing the video I don't understand why the don't make it a no semi road though. It might save a few lives and the truckers will actually be thankful once they know what the road is like.

Seems like a cool drive. After seeing the video I don't understand why the don't make it a no semi road though. It might save a few lives and the truckers will actually be thankful once they know what the road is like.
Been trying for years but since it is a state funded highway right on the border in NC and TN seems more political than anything:mad: And if you want to F something up just get the politicians involved

I was visiting a friend near Robbinsville, NC this past weekend and took the new Mustang through the Dragon. We went through Pigeon Forge and there were a lot of classic cars there.

mdg19.JPG

mdg34.JPG

Back