The "lost" Boss 302 (1F02H100053) - observations + "The blue Boss 302"

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another early pic of a pre-production Boss 351.

2btbp1.jpg

SAME CAR - I THINK

o768ti.jpg

Ray

OK, Kurt...I think you've got me on your side of the fence. I agree that the yellow BOSS and the red Mach do indeed look like exactly the same "buck", or pre-production unit, or styling unit, or whatever it may be be called.

Same red interior, same lack of 1/4 window, same lowered suspension, same skinny track, same goofy front bumper, same impossibly-accurate panel-gaps on the hood. Seems to be just a modified "buck" to display alternate styles/ models.

It is hard to see on my monitor, but the lenses on the sportlamps and the front turn signals appear to be clear...definitaly not typical. And i think maybe the sportlamps are pointing/ angled a bit down farther than production versions?

At any rate, Andy: You have one hell of an awesome car and whatever the ultimate details are, its is probably one of the cooolest 71-73s there is. Certainaly has more noteriety than any other 71-73 I can think of.

Its like the old Reese's Peanut Butter cup commercials:

"Hey, you got a BOSS 302 engine in my Sportsroof!"

"No, you got a sportsroof wrapped around my BOSS 302 engine!"

Nope, it's Andy's car: two great Mustangs that look great togehter!

...or something like that. I'm going to bed.....

It is hard to see on my monitor' date=' but the lenses on the sportlamps and the front turn signals appear to be clear...definitaly not typical. And i think maybe the sportlamps are pointing/ angled a bit down farther than production versions?[/quote']
I really can't say in regards to the sportlamp color on the B&W photo, but the low position of the lamps and pony emblem are identical to the red buck:

1971_00073_01.jpg

Get a load of how smooth those NACA inserts fit in the hood. Betcha they're part of the hood, and that the edge is simply a recessed area of the fiberglass.

This and the bumper are what have sold me on the idea that the yellow car is a buck indeed.

Now - as the hood on the yellow buck doesn't sit as well at the left corner - do you think there is the remote possibility that the hood, trunk, endcaps, and maybe the doors were actual steel units from the assembly line?

This theory might even explain Andy's car - a unibody shell built with the sheet metal used on the buck. Just throwing things out there.

-Kurt

P.S.: I don't know what anyone else thinks (and I know Kit will disagree), but these cars look fantastic with that lowered stance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray, those two yellow BOSSes do indeed look like the same car, except...in the photo with the red mach and the green convert, it looks like the BOSS may have chrome mach-style exhaust tips, not visible in the other photo.

Ray, those two yellow BOSSes do indeed look like the same car, except...in the photo with the red mach and the green convert, it looks like the BOSS may have chrome mach-style exhaust tips, not visible in the other photo.
Look closer, Kit. The chrome, angled tips are there in the funky-pants picture.

What gets me is that the left pipe looks as if it is severely sagging in the group picture. More evidence that there isn't a real exhaust to speak of under the buck.

-Kurt

I don't disagree, I like the lowered stance also. In fact, that side shot of the blue BOSS 351 looks like missle or something. Sometimes the angle and postiniong of a car in a photo makes all the difference in how awesome it looks. When i take pics of my vehicles I always have them "making a wheel"... the front wheel facing the camera turned slightly so it is better visible. I coined that phrase from the old photographer's trick of having his glamour models "make a leg" in pictures: bend a knee so the curvature of the calf becomes more pronounced.

I just like the raised stance of my car better because i have much larger tires on it. That combo looks better to me personally.

In the 'fancy pants' pic - does it look like the rear side marker light is airbrushed too??
Looks it, but the 4000x3200px picture shows no evidence of it.

Two other things have come to mind since. First, the driprail-to-roof edge gap. Consider a production car, where the gap is reasonably minimal - and the driprail trim follows a slightly flatter curve than the roof:

mump_1104_02_o+1971_ford_mustang_mach_1+driver_side_rear_quarter_panel.jpg

Of note, this is one of my favorite aspects of the Sportsroof when viewed from the side - the driprail sometimes obscures the line of the roof, making the car appear lower than it is).

Then (at the risk of posting this huge photo for the 1,329th time in this thread) consider the driprail on the Boss 351 Ford styling car and the red styling buck:

1971_Boss351_029_HR.jpg

1971_00073_01.jpg

Both driprails curve with the roof. At the rear, the driprail-to-roof edge gap looks to be 1/2" wider than a production car, causing the rear quarter window area to be squatter. It's apparent on the red buck, and it becomes very apparent in this promo pic (yep, found another huge, high-res Ford archive picture on the interwebs); hence, it is not an airbrushed trick:

453237.jpg

See what I mean? That's not a production roofline, and it's definitely not present on Andy's car (sorry, Andy - I can't ignore the evidence to the contrary).

One other thing has been bugging me: I realize 1970 was riding the coattails of 1969, but I would expect someone in charge of fashion/wardrobe for Ford media to have had the foresight that Fancy Pants' narrow slacks with their high hemline were on their way out, in addition to the scarf in his attire. The hairstyle seen on the female model in the side picture of the car also says late-1960's to me more than 1970.

Take a look at this ungainly character (apologies if it may be an archive photo of any of you :p):

Ralph+Striped+Pants+09-71.jpg

Now, if that promo pic were snapped in mid-1970, I would have expected a wardrobe person with foresight to have outfitted the male model with trousers that fit with a wide, low hem as shown above - not 1968/1969 skinny leg rejects.

Except...could it be that this photo is from late 1969? Just throwing it out there - don't really have any basis for it other than the fashions.

How early was the design on our cars finalized?

EDIT:

Accurate (in so far as the body, not the trim) styling bucks existed as early as May 1969. Note that the vertical sportlamp car is sitting to the left of the red styling buck that was shown earlier - the one with the all-black Sport Wheel Covers and funky marker lights (see below):

WitzenburgMustang_04_1500.jpg

71mach1.jpg

-Kurt

P.S.: Since I'm at it, here's the last photo I know from the desert photo shoot that has not been posted yet:

mump_0802_09_z+boss+side_view.jpg

I would love to find this car !! I look at every eBay ad with Medium Blue Metallic/ Argent Silver.
No kidding. Chances are, someone might have restored it - incorrectly - with Boss hood paint and the "proper" front end.

Have you considered asking Kevin Marti to run a report on all the Medium Blue Metallic Boss 351s with blue standard interior? Might be interesting to see what pops up.

-Kurt

Kurt -

You have two pics of a red 71 Mach 1. (obviously same car/buck) Weird differences like sport-ish wheel covers on the one with very strange 69/70-ish looking marker lights. Airbrushed???

Edit: OK I re-read your (Kurt's) post and see he identified the weird marker lights and pre-production sports wheel covers in The b/w photo showing car with vertical sport lamps in the grill.

On both pics the gap in the lower valence where you might think you should see through - is weird. If you look at the pic in studio, the left side of the lower valence looks gone. ? ANd the see through areas look wrong.

Maybe I have looked at this stuff too many times - seeing white elephants... :)

Ray

This is SO interesting! ::thumb::

One thing's for certain: whomever's responsible for applying the hockey stripes and rocker trim is A. The same person; and B. Sucked at this. rofl

1971Boss351.jpg

1971-ford-mustang-boss-351-photo-561313-s-1280x782.jpg

a93b55b9.jpg

Two other things have come to mind since. First, the driprail-to-roof edge gap. Consider a production car, where the gap is reasonably minimal - and the driprail trim follows a slightly flatter curve than the roof:

mump_1104_02_o+1971_ford_mustang_mach_1+driver_side_rear_quarter_panel.jpg

Of note, this is one of my favorite aspects of the Sportsroof when viewed from the side - the driprail sometimes obscures the line of the roof, making the car appear lower than it is).

Then (at the risk of posting this huge photo for the 1,329th time in this thread) consider the driprail on the Boss 351 Ford styling car and the red styling buck:

1971_Boss351_029_HR.jpg

See what I mean?
Not really. Look at those two photos you posted above. These two "gaps" look the same to me. Camera angle is everything. Some of the other photos were shot from slightly lower, looking upward, making the gap less visible.

Here's another angle:

29944050003_large.jpg

I also doubt a mocked up shell would have been shipped out to the Las Vegas desert just for a photo shoot. Most of the pre-productions photos I've seen appear to be taken in the Dearborn, MI area. Like the one you posted with the green and red cars along with a yellow one with fatter stripes (fuzzy magazine photo though). By the way, when you change the hue in a photo, it affects all of the colors in the photo. The orange-ish driver's is so far from Vermillion, the rest of the colors in the photo would be equally off. It's just my opinion.

Yeah, those stripes are TERRIBLE in thier alignment. However, they are very typical of how most of the stripes were applied on production vehicles. One sure tip-off of a restored ( or at least repainted) car is arrow-straight stripes.

I must admit on my last repaint, I did not get mine as straight as they should have been.

Oh, I dont think Ford would hesitate to ship non-running bucks anywhere for ad purposes. In late 2004, I had the honor of having my 71 share a stage with the upcoming new 2005 Mustang GT convdrtible. I got the invitation mostly because my car is also red.

I had to have my car at the hotel in Orlando by the airport early to be put in the ballroom. While there I saw them moving the 2005 buck into place. Not only did it not run, nor have a drivetrain...it didn't even roll!

It was moved on a platform, two forklifts lifted it from either end and the platform was removed. The detail guy then cleaned it up.

The car looked authentic from a few feet, but up close and personal it was clearly a sham. None of the switches moved, the upholstery was rock-hard foam under the vinyl, the steering wheel did not turn and the gauges looked very "custom-made" up close. All the typically vinyl decals were paint. The wheels looked great, the tires while clean and new-looking were obviously dry-rotted on close inspection.

No matter, no one could get within 10 feet and from that distance it looked perfect.

I have no doubt Ford would have shipped non-running bucks...but there is no proof that these particular cars in question were non-runners, just idle speculation.

Last edited:
Andy posted:

"at the risk of posting this huge photo for the 1,329th time in this thread"

Not a problem. We are all trying to learn here.

Again - good postings! I find this info to be very important to learning the history of our cars.

Ray

All great photos and research!

Some rebuttal:

Yes. The picture of the rear of the BOSS 302 is of the car I was thinking if, but a slightly diffetent angle...just a diffetdnt lhoto from the same shoot, obviously. Obviously it has side stripes..I misremembered that.

2) all of those pbotos further support my contention that Ford never made "argent" front spoilers. On these argent-lower cars, they are fitted with black spoilers. I claim the "reproduction" argent spoilers are a creation of the aftermarket suppliers, and a little popular revisionist history has created the belief that argent spoilers came on argent-lower cars.

3) my radio antenna claim is in reference to brochure photos, not prototype or other press photos.

4) the "Ram Air" hood decals with no engine size is correct as the engine size is displayed on the fender. It should'nt show more than once from any single viewing angle.

5) notwithstanding the incorrect hood paint design, that photo very clearly shows all the details about the paint-scheme details that I have always claimed to be "correct", and that Jeff Ford got wrong in his article about the design: the front edge of the design is much closer to the leading edge of the hood than J.Ford claimed, and is pretty clear that the straight edges are straight back...not tapering outward as he also claimed.

6) Look at the hubcaps on the BOSS 351 in the Ford press photo...they seem very polished! Much more mirror-like than i remember ever seeing a set of those 2-piecers

It is awesome to uncover new, never-before or little-known facts about cars that are nearing 50 years old...as well as dispelling long-believed myths.
Kit,

Regards to number 2 point above about no Argent front spoilers. I have an original (not a reprint) 1971 Mustang brochure. Although it is a brochure it says under the Boss 351 standard equipment that the front spoiler is either black or argent. I don't recall ever seeing a Boss 351 to be able to say I saw one though. Never saw a 429 car back in my early mustang days either.

I can't imagine a argent striped car looking right with a black front spoiler or rear spoiler though.

If you look at the pic in studio, the left side of the lower valence looks gone.
That's because of that pre-production front bumper, which has a larger overhang than the production urethane unit.

Not really. Look at those two photos you posted above. These two "gaps" look the same to me. Camera angle is everything. Some of the other photos were shot from slightly lower, looking upward, making the gap less visible.
It will look different from alternate angles, but the overlap of a driprail creates a different look from every angle. It's the direct measurement from the roof to the driprail edge that I'm looking at.

I maintain my position that the driprail on the bucks are lower at the back than a production Sportsroof; hence the reason why I suspect they're bucks. I've stared at this detail on my car and others long enough to know that it isn't the same as a production Mustang on that yellow Boss buck. Also note that the trim itself on the production car is wider at the top of the A-pillar:

1428092.jpg

By the way, when you change the hue in a photo, it affects all of the colors in the photo.
Not at all. Chemical grading of negatives can take all forms, and you can do just about anything with digital editing today, affecting only individual channels:

21lq0xs.jpg

I wasn't even trying to do a good job here.

"at the risk of posting this huge photo for the 1' date='329th time in this thread"[/quote']
That was me, but I meant to say "1,806th time." If you get my drift ;)

-Kurt

If you look at the pic in studio, the left side of the lower valence looks gone.

That's because of that pre-production front bumper, which has a larger overhang than the production urethane unit.

By the way, when you change the hue in a photo, it affects all of the colors in the photo.
Hey Kurt - you are missing some quotes here! I didn't say that!! :dodgy: :D

Not at all. Chemical grading of negatives can take all forms, and you can do just about anything with digital editing today, affecting only individual channels:

21lq0xs.jpg

I wasn't even trying to do a good job here.

"at the risk of posting this huge photo for the 1' date='329th time in this thread"[/quote']
That was me, but I meant to say "1,806th time." If you get my drift ;)

-Kurt
Aha! As in 1,806 Boss 351's built!!! :cool:

Ray

Yeah, those stripes are TERRIBLE in thier alignment. However, they are very typical of how most of the stripes were applied on production vehicles. One sure tip-off of a restored ( or at least repainted) car is arrow-straight stripes.

I must admit on my last repaint, I did not get mine as straight as they should have been.

Oh, I dont think Ford would hesitate to ship non-running bucks anywhere for ad purposes. In late 2004, I had the honor of having my 71 share a stage with the upcoming new 2005 Mustang GT convdrtible. I got the invitation mostly because my car is also red.

I had to have my car at the hotel in Orlando by the airport early to be put in the ballroom. While there I saw them moving the 2005 buck into place. Not only did it not run, nor have a drivetrain...it didn't even roll!

It was moved on a platform, two forklifts lifted it from either end and the platform was removed. The detail guy then cleaned it up.

The car looked authentic from a few feet, but up close and personal it was clearly a sham. None of the switches moved, the upholstery was rock-hard foam under the vinyl, the steering wheel did not turn and the gauges looked very "custom-made" up close. All the typically vinyl decals were paint. The wheels looked great, the tires while clean and new-looking were obviously dry-rotted on close inspection.

No matter, no one could get within 10 feet and from that distance it looked perfect.

I have no doubt Ford would have shipped non-running bucks...but there is no proof that these particular cars in question were non-runners, just idle speculation.
That's really an interesting story! Wonder why they wouldn't have a regular production car for display at such an event, especially late in 2004? I really like the 2005 cars, and would like to find a nice convert. I have a 1989 GT convert with only 6500 miles on it. I'm the original owner.

One of the things I discussed with the exec from DST was his work with Carol Shelby and Bill Stroppe back in the mid to late 60's. He and his company worked directly with them on the ads, and did any mods necessary to put together the photo shoot or show displays. He related how the FTC got on their cases at that time and stopped them from continuing to use fiberglass mock ups of the Shelby cars in their ads. Before that, things had gotten pretty wild, with cars being painted 2 different colors for different ads, one side green and one side red etc. Anything was pretty much fair game as they needed.

Bill Stroppe's son, Willy Stroppe told me his father's engineering company (which the son still operates today, doing mechanical protoypes for Ford, such as ABS systems- see their website) did the motors and mechanical mods on Fords West Coast show/display stuff, and he speculated that his company likely would have been called upon to change the motor out on my car. But, he had no documentation of such.

It was said earlier in this thread that there was no evidence my car ever had the NACA (NASA) hood. The opposite is true. The documentation called for the ram air hood when the car was built, and the special hood springs are still on the car to this day. I do believe that after the photo shoot in the desert, they had to again change the hood anyway, due to a large depression on the driver's side, half way to the front. (Nobody's mentoned that yet !) That would explain the slight difference in the curve of the blackout at the front corners. Mine has a blackout line that looks much more "factory-like." But, if you're swapping motors on the car, the hood's already off, and was likely changed once already.

BTW Here's one I'm not sure you already posted:

25un1c7.jpg

Interestingly, when you enlarge this photo, it has a canvas texture, made to look like an oil painting. The photo with the funky pants guy did not get that treatment. The one with the guy and gal has an oil paint look to it, but not the canvas look.

And finally, if this isn't long enough, I don't see what you guys are talking about re: the fog light placement on the front grill. These look the same height as the press cars, when taken from this angle:

mump_0802_01_z+boss+mustang.jpg

What am I missing. By the way that roof line at the C-pillar, where the quarter is leaded to the roof, is a very difficult area of sculpting. (If you do this kind of work, you can skip the rest of this paragraph !) But, with a file, it can change appearance very quickly. I have spent hours with lead, and with fillers in this area of a car. I can't imagine doing it in an assembly line environment. That's why some of the cars have a lot of lead, and a crisp break up high, and some have a dull rolling fade into the roof. The edge line then gets lost into the roof. Also, next time you are standing behind a fastback, look straight up that edge toward the roof. On some cars, there is no "ridge" and on some, it waves in and out like a roller coaster. And that's when it's new, before the swelling starts ! Gotta respect those line worker's for what they managed to turn out, given what they had to contend with.

I also think the photos of the back of the desert car show the black extending slightly above the decklid style line, almost to the lock. It makes me believe the lower decklid line was already there when produced with the "standard" Boss striping. The addition of the upper stripe would be easy, and one more piece of vinyl striping or an airbrush, would easily cover the little yellow showing just below the bottom Boss stipe.

Look familiar? I noticed the clear sportslamps in the grill first.
Sorry, Ray - that's a real car, not a buck. Production urethane bumper, production grill, production driprail location, big panel gaps in the urethane NACA scoop inserts, and none of the early coupe trim at the back edge of the hood and fenders.

At least a few really early drivable cars did exist with clear Sportlamps, as per this image from IMCDB.org:

i605253.jpg

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_605253-Ford-Mustang-1971.html

-Kurt

Back