The Rickster - a 73 Mach 1 work in progress

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kilgon, that is a great idea. I'll definitely give that a try.

Midlife, I checked out West Coast Classic Cougars, but they didn't list anything specifically for 71-73 Mustangs. I did get a bright idea, though, from your suggestions and chasing their website, and that was to see if there are taller clips. I found that 80's F150's are about .035" taller, so I ordered a pack on Amazon. Should be here in the next day or so. Even if they don't work, it's worth a try, and I'll need them for El Guapo, my 86 F150, that I need to finish when the Rickster is done. Thanks for the input, Midlife, because it did get me pushing forward, again.

Sheriff41, I don't think Trevyn has been around here in a while. I did watch his YouTube video on the rear window again, though. Actually, I watched it twice, but he just used the clips that came from his supplier after moving the window position, slightly. But I have what should be taller clips coming, so I'll give that a try.

Today, I got the retractable antenna secured and the passenger side wheel well buttoned up for the last time, at least for a while.

Making progress, slowly, but surely.

Fantastic job of reclaiming/rebuilding/restoring your car. I just spent most of the morning going through your entire thread and it made me tired. I don't have as much rust repair to do on mine as you did on yours but in a lot of the same areas. I've been slowly collecting parts as my budget allows and am always interested in how others build their cars. One thing I did not see or might have missed is what your tire/wheel size is? Beautiful Mustang indeed!

Bond, James Bond

Thanks, Bond, James Bond. Wheels are 15x8. Rear tires are 255/60-15 and front tires are 245/60-15. I may get a tiny rub against the steering knuckle with the wheels I have, so I may have to get some 1/4" spacers for the front. If I were doing it again, I think I would go with 235/60-15's up front to give them just a tad more clearance. When you get into the rebuilding, if you run into problems, don't be afraid to ask for help. Good luck with your project.

Last night my friend, Justin, came over and we got the windshield installed. The trim went on the windshield with no problem.
View attachment 77153

I still haven't been able to get the trim on the rear window. I am about to the point of just gluing it on, and not let perfection get in the way of completion.

The Rickster has been running poorly the last few starts. I purchased a smoke generator to find exhaust vacuum leaks and after plugging the driver side tail pipe, filled the exhaust with the smoke under very slight (1 psi) pressure. It revealed an exhaust leak in the joint just behind the oxygen sensor. The Sniper's handheld says it's running really lean, and it just dumps fuel into the throttle body. It struck me last night, I bet all that fuel that it added trying to enrich what it thought was a lean condition fouled the O2 sensor. I'm going to check with Holley today, but may need a new O2 sensor to get it on the road. I'll also need to change the oil, again, since it is up over a quart from fuel dilution from failed starts.

Still, it's that much closer to being on the road. It's exciting to think that in the next few days, it will move under its own power for the first time in over 25 years (and maybe more than that). But it's getting there. Slowly, but surely.
Nice Car

Just when you thought you were fixing to cross the finish line...

I got the rear bumper removed, bumper guards installed and the backup camera installed, and the rear bumper reattached. I went to attach the rear view mirror but the button on my NPD windshield was too small. I was able to heat the button with a small butane torch and release the button. It was to low anyway. Under the button was a blacked out area, and it was pretty impossible to remove. Oh well, mounted the new button a few inches higher - where it should have been located. I got the new mirror mounted and all was well until I adjusted it. The mount was a little stiff, and the new mirror pulled the button off along with a chunk of the brand new windshield. To say the least, I am beyond frustrated.

So now I am looking for a replacement windshield. I am not inclined to make another 7 hr round trip to NPD to get one, as I want one without the button, or one with the button much higher than the ones NPD offers. So now, getting one shipped here to NE Tennessee, will take at least a week and freight will be a couple hundred bucks.

Just when I was soOooo close...

Ron I'm sorry this happened brother. It is very frustrating and upsetting. Hang in there though, just approach the problem methodically step by step. Be careful when you remove the delicate front trim, take your time with it. Clean any weather strip sealant off of the trim and get it all prepped so when you reinstall it it won't give you any headaches. Then slowly break the seal of weatherstrip sealant around the edge of the old windshield, again be careful when you work down in the area of the dash vin panel. Once you get the windshield off, take your time and clean all the old sealant off so you can start fresh, again the focus is to take your time with every step so you don't get frustrated. If you do start feeling frustrated, STOP, walk away take a break come back to it later then start again. You'll get it done. I've followed your build, I know you can do it and it will be excellent when your finished. Hang in there my friend, your almost done. Your brother would be proud of you of what you've accomplished.

If you get your windshield from ECS they will etch it with the proper CarLite logo, tiny type, and date code to match your oem glass. Same with other glass parts. I have gotten several door glass parts formour 69 Shelby and 73 Mach 1. Dead on each time.

I had to re-attach a windshield glass on our 73 Mach 1. I chose to use 3M heavy duty (nor regular mirror adhesive). I actually read the instructions and followed them closely with excellent results.

Thanks, guys. I've stepped back from the project for a couple days, and thinking about it, I can still do a test drive with a small chunk out of the windshield and without the rear view mirror. It's just so frustrating that I now have to replace what was a perfectly good windshield, not only the cost, but the hassle of removing the old one, and sourcing and installing a new one.

Guys, I really appreciate your encouragement. Rio, you gave some good advice about walking away if it gets to frustrating. I've done that a few times on this build, but it's good to be reminded, especially when it's this close to being done.

Gil, I did look at the ECS website, and they say it's a 4-6 week lead time, $450, plus the cost of truck freight. Ouch!! I'll keep looking around, but it's good to know that option is there, if I need it. I was just telling the wife about that ECS option, and she was like, "Buy once, cry once." Did I mention that she's a keeper?

While writing this response, it struck me, I have a rearview mirror from El Guapo (1986 F15) in my boxes of parts for that project. I could put the mirror button in the lower blacked out spot on the chunked windshield and mount that rear view mirror as a temporary measure. Once I get a new windshield for the Rickster with the correct button location, El Guapo can have it's mirror back, and I can snag some help and get the Rickster's windshield replaced.

Setbacks occur, but still, we're making progress. Slowly, but surely.

A few days ago, I had cleaned up the O2 sensor and reinstalled it, pulled the plugs and replaced them, and changed the gas diluted oil and oil filter. I got the new windshield and got it installed, and got the rear view mirror attached and back up camera is hooked up. I'm not sure I like it, but I'll be working on getting used to it. I've had the engine running a few times and run it up to temp a couple times and it seems to run fine. So yesterday was the big day.

I got my wife to help guide me as I backed it out of the garage. I was taking it very slow and easy, so I would run into anything. About the time I got the back end of the car out of the garage door, it started running really rich and would not stay running. I glanced at the Air/Fuel Ratio on the handheld monitor and it was pegging up to 35.6 or so - super rich.

Soooo.... we pushed the Rickster back into it's parking spot in the car barn. I've ordered a new O2 sensor, and it should be here tomorrow.

Recently, a friend introduced me to one of his friends who lives nearby, who works for Holley Tech support. He's offered to come by this weekend and help me get this Sniper EFI system up and running.

It's frustrating that it was so close to going on a test drive, but looking on the bright side, it was the first time the Rickster has moved under it's own power in more than 2 decades.

So the Rickster moved under it's own power for the first time in probably 25 yrs or more. Despite the frustrations, it was a good day. Making progress, slowly, but surely.

Ron your almost there!!! Buddy please try and and stay calm while you work out the minor kinks. When you get it sorted out and you're going out for the test drive, please be careful in your excitement in backing it out of the barn you don't run over your floor jack or something. :p
Your so close!! Please if you can have the wife video the moment and posted it up here so we can see it and enjoy it with you!! Your doing a great job on your build!

Congrats! The thing about challenges like the fuel mixture is that you learn more about how things work than if it were all plug-and-play. The knowledge and understanding you gain pays off in you being much more in tune with the Rickster than most others are with their cars.

Thanks, guys. Yes, I'm a little frustrated and discouraged, but I am so close I can taste it. The wife will definitely be recording it. Once I know it runs, I'll have to get it to the alignment shop and I'm looking forward to that. The frame for the 76 Bronco will be here next week, so I really need to have the Rickster moving under it's own power ASAP. Even if it's 2 steps forward and 1 step back, at least it's progress, and that's a good thing.

A few days ago, I had cleaned up the O2 sensor and reinstalled it, pulled the plugs and replaced them, and changed the gas diluted oil and oil filter. I got the new windshield and got it installed, and got the rear view mirror attached and back up camera is hooked up. I'm not sure I like it, but I'll be working on getting used to it. I've had the engine running a few times and run it up to temp a couple times and it seems to run fine. So yesterday was the big day.

I got my wife to help guide me as I backed it out of the garage. I was taking it very slow and easy, so I would run into anything. About the time I got the back end of the car out of the garage door, it started running really rich and would not stay running. I glanced at the Air/Fuel Ratio on the handheld monitor and it was pegging up to 35.6 or so - super rich.

Soooo.... we pushed the Rickster back into it's parking spot in the car barn. I've ordered a new O2 sensor, and it should be here tomorrow.

Recently, a friend introduced me to one of his friends who lives nearby, who works for Holley Tech support. He's offered to come by this weekend and help me get this Sniper EFI system up and running.

It's frustrating that it was so close to going on a test drive, but looking on the bright side, it was the first time the Rickster has moved under it's own power in more than 2 decades.

So the Rickster moved under it's own power for the first time in probably 25 yrs or more. Despite the frustrations, it was a good day. Making progress, slowly, but surely.
I just read about the windshield, I was pulling down on my stubborn rearview & wondered if that ever happened. Now I know. After all that work it's almost there. I've got to admit....I really like the colors. I would have never imagined they'd pop like that. You'll be working bugs out of it for a few more months. Then people will be offering you $ for it. I figured I could make a lil less than $5/hr if I cashed out lmao.

Yes, Paul M. If I were to sell the Rickster (not going to happen), I would also realize only about $5/hour. Fortunately, that's not why we rebuild/restore these cars. :)

Today, my friend came over to help me get the Sniper EFI working. His day job is tech support for Holley. He brought his tech manual for the Sniper system. It was about 1.5 inches thick. We went through a bunch of stuff, and fixed a few items that he found. Unfortunately, after about 3 hrs working on it, we still could not get it to start and run. While frustrating, I was relieved that it wasn't something super simple that I screwed up.

Getting it to run reliably has been a challenge, but we're making progress. James is going to be doing more research and will be consulting with his team lead tomorrow to see what we might have missed or what could be wrong. Sooo, although we didn't get it going today, we are making progress. Slowly, but surely.

Well, we tracked down some of the problem to the fuel pump relay. The pink and blue wires from the Sniper EFI were on the 85 and 86 terminals of the fuel pump relay, instead of the 86 and 85. I swapped them over and things to seem better. Backing out of the shop, again, it died and wouldn't restart. Putting 12V to the relay output did nothing. I went to the fuel pump electrical connector under the car, and hit it with the PowerProbe, and nothing. It sounds like the fuel pump is bad. I've already got a replacement, so tomorrow, I will drop the tank and replace the fuel pump. Hopefully, that will fix the problems and I'll make the cruise-in Friday evening. Making progress.

The Rickster made it's first test drive today.

I got the new fuel pump installed in the tank, and got the tank back into the car this morning. It was a pain in the butt doing it alone, but I got it done. Hitting the key, the pump cycled as it was supposed to. My buddy, James, came over after he got off work. The car started right up and idled normally. We backed it out of the car barn, and took it on a short test drive. WooHoo!!!

It actually took to the road under it's own power for the first time in probably a couple decades or more. It was a great feeling. My wife took a couple videos of the test drive. They were large enough that I couldn't upload them, so I have uploaded them to YouTube. Here are links to them.

I did find a few bugs to work out, but so far I'm thrilled that it runs, finally.

Back