This is definitely rare...

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

jeff8877

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q Code Convertible
Very nice RARE car...

I did notice that the Marti report says it came with a white interior and it is now black. This kind of discounts it being an all original and makes you wonder what else has been changed.

Mister 4x4

Too Big to Sneak
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
Whoever repainted it forgot to line up the trunk latch (no biggie) and put the TuTone stencil too far back (just like mine).

Awesome looking car, though. I don't think that's a horrible price, either... all things considered.

OLE PONY

VIP Members
Staff member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Conv.
01 Mustang Bullitt (my son owns now)
04 Oxford White Mach 1
04 Azure Blue Mach 1 (sold)
Interesting. I've noticed the Japanese side marker lights on some other pictures of Japanese export cars.

Pegleg

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande

Pegleg

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
So would this be a export then import back to U.S? Or a cancelled export order after manufacture. Would like to see shipping documentation

Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
It is to my understanding that without the Elite Marti you do not know if it left the country or not. The Elite will give the selling dealer info. There was evidently a purchase plan with the military that also gave the car an export DSO but sometimes was never exported. You know how the military changes their mind on where they send someone. I was told that you went to your base Commissary and placed the order. If Japan was like Germany and the T-5 cars it only cost you $1.00 to bring the car home. My old boss was on flight crew of the B-52 bomber. They flew an officers car from England to Texas in the bomb bay one trip. Humm no customs no duty not fair.

The color change of the interior sucks. My 71 Maverick was Grabber Green great color.

I bet the sticker price was around $5,500 or a little more on this car. You would think they would have got the Elite Marti for such a great car.

1mach1

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 351-4v
1971 Boss 351
Cool car, with some great options. Must be one of the most highly optioned car for that year. Shame about the interior color change.

I did not know you could have a rear mount antenna. New one on me. Can anyone here confirm this?

P

Pastel Blue

Cool car, with some great options. Must be one of the most highly optioned car for that year. Shame about the interior color change.

I did not know you could have a rear mount antenna. New one on me. Can anyone here confirm this?
Dealer installed accessory... but was available.

Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
On the antenna. They were all installed by the dealer front or rear. They hit when in shipping so Ford gave dealer some money to install antenna. If you ordered the car you could tell the dealer you want the dealer installed rear antenna and they would not put the hole in the front fender.

It sucks that they did not keep interior. I sent seller several questions but no answers back yet.

1mach1

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 351-4v
1971 Boss 351
On the antenna. They were all installed by the dealer front or rear. They hit when in shipping so Ford gave dealer some money to install antenna. If you ordered the car you could tell the dealer you want the dealer installed rear antenna and they would not put the hole in the front fender.

It sucks that they did not keep interior. I sent seller several questions but no answers back yet.
Ah. After all these years, I never knew that bit of history on the antenna. Thanks!

Reaction score
Radios were not standard in these cars. So if no radio was ordered, they came with a radio delete plate in the radio location and no hole in the fender. The cars went through a "PDI" process (Pre Delivery Inspection) where the car was checked for options and standard equipment being correct, fluid levels, loose or missing nuts, bolts, or hardware. The trunk would contain wheel covers, floor mats and the radio installation kit. The install kit would have the radio, antenna with the fender drill template and all the hardware needed for the install. Only the higher end cars such as T-Bird's and Lincoln's came with standard radios and factory installed antennas. This continued through the late 70's. As each model line was redesigned, such as the new 79 LTD and Mustang, they had antenna delete plates on the fender if not ordered with a radio. A lot of people would not order a factory radio so they could have a custom system installed. A lot of dealers utilized companies that specialized in installing audio systems and other accessories and would come to the dealership to install them. A lot of delete plates were tossed after a radio install and are now commanding some insane prices.

The power antenna was a dealer installed/ over the counter part and was not production installed on the Mustang.

Last edited by a moderator:

L.C.Gray

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande Coupe
(X)2008 Mustang Coupe
(X)2011 Mustang Premium Coupe
2017 Mustang Coupe
My old boss was on flight crew of the B-52 bomber. They flew an officers car from England to Texas in the bomb bay one trip.
I just can't purchase that one...

Buff's weren't designed to carry cargo, just various bomb racks. There's no floor at all in the bomb bay so a rack to hold the car would have had to be engineered. At only 6 feet wide, the bomb bay isn't wide enough but for the smallest of cars. They may have snuck a car home on a cargo plane, but it weren't on no Buff....

mwilson7

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 429
1972 Mustang Convertible 302
I ended up buying the car. No, it's not perfect but I've been looking to add either a 71 Boss or 429 to my collection for years and the combination of options, export status and price convinced me to pull the trigger. To be honest I didn't expect to win it as I thought it would go for more money. I was looking for something to drive and take to cruise nights so this fits the bill perfectly. Yes, the interior color change isn't ideal but if you've ever had a white interior you probably know why someone would do it. I've got a 72 convertible that i spend more time that I like to think about cleaning the interior.

Should be a fun car and the irony is that I live about 30 minutes from the Dearborn Assembly Plant.

Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
My old boss was on flight crew of the B-52 bomber. They flew an officers car from England to Texas in the bomb bay one trip.
I just can't purchase that one...

Buff's weren't designed to carry cargo, just various bomb racks. There's no floor at all in the bomb bay so a rack to hold the car would have had to be engineered. At only 6 feet wide, the bomb bay isn't wide enough but for the smallest of cars. They may have snuck a car home on a cargo plane, but it weren't on no Buff....
I will gladly give you his email if you want to talk with him. He also got to experience the refuel nozzle coming through the cockpit window during an in flight refuel.