Thoughts on Angus 351C 3V Heads?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, Q code, 4 speed, 3.25, A/C, P/S
Any thoughts on these 3V heads?
https://angusracing.com/shop/ford-302-351c-235cc-68cc-cnc-complete-aluminum-cylinder-heads/
Comparison to Trick Flow or Edelbrock?

These heads say "Complete" however I don't see rocker arms in the pics. Is that typical for a "complete" package? Never purchased heads before so I'm looking for some insight.

Current 73 Vert, 351C 4V, 4 speed, 3.25 rear. Dual exhaust, FPA headers, 650 Edelbrock carb, Edelbrock Performer intake.

I don't have a specific HP/TQ more in mind. Just more than I have now while shaving some front-end weight.

They are Speedmaster heads, formerly known as ProComp. They get mixed reviews with many settling on "buy the heads bare and assemble them with better components.". What they describe as complete is accurate. Since you already have 4V heads I'd look elsewhere for power increases. The main issue with post 1971 351C 4Vs is low compression and a sub-par camshaft. Chuck

They are Speedmaster heads, formerly known as ProComp. They get mixed reviews with many settling on "buy the heads bare and assemble them with better components.". What they describe as complete is accurate. Since you already have 4V heads I'd look elsewhere for power increases. The main issue with post 1971 351C 4Vs is low compression and a sub-par camshaft. Chuck
Good info thank you. I'll keep looking. I was thinking the 3V style would help a bit with low-end grunt.

It would help some but the smaller chamber would raise compression enough to make a difference. Many are getting very good results with TFS power port heads but it is a lot of money. You would need roller rockers as well gaskets. Now here is the really potentially expensive part. You have heads off and you are looking at the lifters and cam lobes. And a thought comes to mind. "Well, since I have it this far apart, I might as well upgrade the ___________ ."
And down the rabbit hole you go. Good Luck, Chuck

ProComp Electronics / Speedmaster / AT Racing World are all the same company. PCE has a rather checkered past in the performance aftermarket, known for "borrowing" other companies product likeness to sell their products. Quality has improved over the years, but it's still like playing Russian roulette with five shells in the cylinder.

You would be much better off with the small price premium buying the TFS or Edelbrock heads.

Back