Thoughts on fitting a chrome front bumper

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 dark green
I had my urethane bumper off today to do some work on my grill.  I was looking at the bumper support panel and got to thinking this.  The chrome bumper, as we know, comes up short on the fender sides, so much that the make those ugly, gray rubber fillers.  The bumper mounts to the support panel via 6 screws.  The bumper support mounts to the car via 4 bolts.  What if you elongated the 4 bolt holes and moved the bumper support panel back an inch or so.  Would that not tuck the chrome number in enough to eliminate the funky gray rubber fillers?

You could but the least little bump will cost you big time in repairs. There is a reason to leave gaps.
This is true but I remember the thread of the member who did a great job of adding a bit of length to the sides of a chrome bumper but welding and such to bring it closer to the fenders to eliminate the fillers.  Was just thinking my above question would do the same thing with little work.   I have a very nice urethane bumper so I have no plans to do this, just came to me when I was looking at the bumper support piece.

Back