Thoughts on this 429? I'm considering it.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A quick look at 5 pictures and the write up and then I walked.... They can’t even get the 5th digit of the VIN correct.... The paint and exterior finishes are incorrect. Enough for me to say not for that coin....

A quick look at 5 pictures and the write up and then I walked.... They can’t even get the 5th digit of the VIN correct.... The paint and exterior finishes are incorrect. Enough for me to say not for that coin....
I am no expert on 429's, but I wouldn't pay 72K US for that car either. With all the wrong stuff I saw in a quick look through, what else is wrong? Unfortunately some sucker will haggle the guy down to 65K and think he got a deal.

First thing I noticed was the rocker moldings, why are they there? Given the badges, I can see the owner adding them, but that's a big red flag for me. Makes me want to check stamping date codes and shock tower stamps for VIN verification. Honestly, for that money, you should be doing that anyway. 

Looks like some "undercoat detailing" was done to hide the less than pretty welds and repairs on the floors. Bummer they changed out the Vermillion interior. Lots of things pop out as not quite right and make me think "rebody". 

Yeah I was considering offering 60-65 for this white car, maybe not now.  Please point out all that’s wrong with it.

in the mean time...there is an alternative.  

the seller says this car was restored in the 90’s and changed to red, originally light pewter.  They added factory AC during the restoration, not original.  They claim the power windows are correct.  Like the above car, it is a presumed original J Code, 4speed Mach1.  This car has 3.50 gears vs 3.25’s which I think I’d prefer.  

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ford/mustang/2410816.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree. If these things are wrong, they will only be the start of a longer list. I would keep looking.

Yeah I was considering offering 60-65 for this white car, maybe not now.  Please point out all that’s wrong with it.

in the mean time...there is an alternative.  

the seller says this car was restored in the 90’s and changed to red, originally light pewter.  They added factory AC during the restoration, not original.  They claim the power windows are correct.  Like the above car, it is a presumed original J Code, 4speed Mach1.  This car has 3.50 gears vs 3.25’s which I think I’d prefer.  

I'd be more inclined to look at car #2. Looks like a cleaner restoration. 

. ****ORIGINAL *** ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE**NEW OR REBUILT PARTS- RESTORATION**

The opening line tells you to RUN AWAY  ... original ... only original once and then they say  here is the list of new parts

It's like the 1967 James Bond film- "You Only Live Twice".  This car was original twice.  lol  Where did they get that $120K that is crossed out below the $72.9K.  Crazy.  As others have stated this car has a lot of things incorrect and should be way less.  It's only saving grace would be if the drive-line is numbers-matching to the chassis.  I recall seeing additional 429 emblems on the Torino Cobra, but these are a joke.  My numbers-matching 429 CJ-R 4 speed car also has factory power windows.  I guess it's also a one of one.  ;)  I also like how the engine specs decal is where the rev limiter is supposed to go.

The Hemmings car on the other hand is gorgeous, assuming things check out.  Perhaps in this market they would come down a little, but the price is not out of line for this car.  Says power windows and locks, and I'm not sure i ever saw power locks available (might be wrong).  Has the rev limiter in the correct spot, not sure if it's functional or not.  AC, now that's what my car really needs for summer driving.  Rochester carb, nice, I'll bet most were tossed (mine was).

My numbers-matching 429 CJ-R 4 speed car also has factory power windows.  I guess it's also a one of one.  ;)  I also like how the engine specs decal is where the rev limiter is supposed to go.

The Hemmings car on the other hand is gorgeous, assuming things check out.  Perhaps in this market they would come down a little, but the price is not out of line for this car.  Says power windows and locks, and I'm not sure i ever saw power locks available (might be wrong).  Has the rev limiter in the correct spot, not sure if it's functional or not.  AC, now that's what my car really needs for summer driving.  Rochester carb, nice, I'll bet most were tossed (mine was).
Power windows on a J code, I remember back in 2008, when I started to seriously look for replacement for the 72 Q code Mach 1 I sold, I saw a listing for a 71 J code Mach 1, don't remember who it was now, but the the feature point was "1 of 1 with power windows" . Wonder where they got that nugget? It was way above my price point anyway, so I never called about it.

Noticed that the Red Hemmings car has a "Fasten Seat Belt" light on passengers dash and this wasn't available until late 1972...

Power windows on a J code, I remember back in 2008, when I started to seriously look for replacement for the 72 Q code Mach 1 I sold, I saw a listing for a 71 J code Mach 1, don't remember who it was now, but the the feature point was "1 of 1 with power windows" . Wonder where they got that nugget? It was way above my price point anyway, so I never called about it.
Kevin Marti, who else....

Kevin can make the lowliest of stripper cars a "1 of 1" when you pay his "Ego Tax" and opt for the Elite Report. 

Noticed that the Red Hemmings car has a "Fasten Seat Belt" light on passengers dash and this wasn't available until late 1972...
I saw that, chalked it up to the added A/C system and they probably used the trim out of the donor car. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just like in the movie "Used Cars" with Kurt Russell,  the white shoe wearing, fast talkin' salesmen have always been around. Now with the internet at the world's disposal, cars with "Borrowed Pictures" and only original once cars with a yard-long list of changes, vetting of these gems are more important than ever!
With the rocker panel moldings, lower accent body-color molding, plus the Hockey stick stripes and additional 429 emblems, things were starting to get a little busy on this one. The 429 designation only appears five times!! The fender emblems appear to be from Shelbys accessory "Dress me up like A Ho" dept. The one on the deck lid (Boot for our European brothers) is robbed from the '79/ medium-duty truck 600, 700, 800 series. Ford didn't even use 351 for the ram air decal on the '71 Boss since it was already proclaimed on the fender. As mentioned by donkost, there were lower fender engine emblems on the Torino but only on the '70 and was any model that had a 351 or 429. (And....only one on each fender, total)

When you advertise a car for $120,000 or 72,900, it should be a turn-key concourse level car that needs nothing. Too many small things that are not right and prob plenty of larger discrepancies waiting to be discovered. The interior color change on any 429 or Boss car should be left up to the end-user and not the "White Shoe" car sales dept! 
As Hemikiller stated, a rebody comes to mind also. A very thorough inspection of engine/transmission and fender VINS is more than warranted.

The red Hemmings Mach1 appears to be a more realistically priced car and doesn't appear to be as "Massaged" as the white Mach1.
The locks feature donkost mentioned would be the 5th button on the driver's master window control switch. The '71-72s used a switch sourced from the '69 full-size Ford that had a lock feature that disabled all the window switches. This was a useful feature on 4door vehicles where you didn't want the kiddies falling out of your car while on the way to Wally World!
The right side seat belt light could be a result of a complete dashboard swap from a part donor '72 or as Hemikiller suggested a trim piece that was acquired from a '72 during the AC conversion. The light was production installed starting 12/1/71 for all '72 Mustangs and continued through the end of  1973 production. 

The locks feature donkost mentioned would be the 5th button on the driver's master window control switch. The '71-72s used a switch sourced from the '69 full-size Ford that had a lock feature that disabled all the window switches. This was a useful feature on 4door vehicles where you didn't want the kiddies falling out of your car while on the way to Wally World!
Yes I just went out to the garage and mine has that 5th button "Lock".  I always assumed it was to lock out the other window controls, since that feature is even on our modern-day Navigator, and likely many other vehicles.  The Hemmings red car ad states "Power Windows & Locks", so perhaps there was some confusion there.  I don't believe that 5th button is for power door locks, or is it?  I pressed it with the car off and the door locks didn't move.

Do you mean the Hemmings car was changed to red from light pewter?  The door tag shows color code 3, which is bright red.  So maybe it was that different color and they restored it back to the original bright red?  Also, the axle code on the door tag is A, which is a 3.50 conventional axle.  Could have been changed at some point to a Traction-Lok axle of course.

Just some clarity needed in their description. The 5th button is for locking out all window switches to be non-functional until the driver turns them back on. There was not a production installed power door lock option for the 71-73 Mustang or Cougar. The first year such an option became available on the Mustang was 1979.

Depending on the vendor you choose, the door certification labels can be made to indicate whatever you want them to show. The label shown in the Hemmings add is incorrect for an early 71 Mustang. The word "Manufactured" should be spelled out at the top of the label, not abbreviated "MFD". At the bottom, there should be "Not For Title or Registration" and "Made in USA". All missing from the label on the Hemmings car. The certification label shown in the photo is from my Money Pit #2 which is a 9/70 built 71 Mach 1, is original and shows what the label should look like.
At this point obtaining a Marti report would be a good idea for anyone contemplating a purchase of any of these vehicles. The basic report @ $18.00 would give you enough info to at least show how it left the assembly plant. Sure would help to make a better-informed decision while listening to all the "Chin Music" from these sellers!

cert lable-1.jpg

Back