Throttle cable

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the throttle cable on our cars adjustable? I just noticed that my cable does not fully open my carburetor! Thanks!!
Disconnect the cable and see if the carb opens fully when you operate it by hand. I've had several "out of the box new" carbs that didn't quite open all the way due to linkage problems or the throttle blades not being centered in the base plate bores. Chuck

If you've replaced your carpet and/or added insulation under the carpet the accelerator pedal may not have enough travel to open the throttle all of the way and you may have to shim up the mounting bracket.

Is the throttle cable on our cars adjustable? I just noticed that my cable does not fully open my carburetor! Thanks!!
Omie,

What carb are you running? I'm running a quick fuel and have the same issue. The throttle cable does not open the carb 100% There is enough travel in the cable as I have to compress the cable some to hook it up. I am planning to make an extension for my throttle cable bracket where it mounts to the intake to make up the difference.

I am running a Pro-Systems 780XP. Yes, I have to compress cable a little to snap it on, then it doesn't seem to open all the way. I did install new carpet too though. Some things to look into!!!

Bend the throttle bracket back slightly to take up the slack that you had to compress. Just dont go too far or you will have a high idle. Or slot the mounting holes for the bracket and move it back slightly.

Last edited by a moderator:
My cable rests literally 3/4" in front of the hole it mounts to. But, I went to O'rielly's yesterday, found a little kit that had 5 different little ball ends, and managed to use washers, locktite, and lock washer and mounted a ball pin thing in the big hole on the linkage arm. a lot closer to cable at rest, so I should have gained at least 5/8" of throw. I'm guessing that will be close enough. Kind of excited to have that much more throttle. This thing was already scary fast!!

My cable rests literally 3/4" in front of the hole it mounts to. But, I went to O'rielly's yesterday, found a little kit that had 5 different little ball ends, and managed to use washers, locktite, and lock washer and mounted a ball pin thing in the big hole on the linkage arm. a lot closer to cable at rest, so I should have gained at least 5/8" of throw. I'm guessing that will be close enough. Kind of excited to have that much more throttle. This thing was already scary fast!!
What kit did you buy? can you post up a some pics?

The only reason I needed the different ball piece is because the threads were not long enough to get through the 3 washers I had to use to lock it in the middle of the big hole. I bought a small stainless washer assortment pack and mixed and matched until the washers locked into the hole and capped both ends. You will just have to play around with it to get it to work. Just make sure it will stay tight and check it often!! It is working fantastic! It's nice to have the last 1/4 throttle. Makes a big difference! Good luck!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure I can help....as I was going to TALK ABOUT correct Ford parts! There is a different "cable mount" for the 2V vs 4V in 1971.

MY GUESS is many are dealing with less than stock ...so in that case, you want to insure that there is no binding ability to go to WOT and close without a spring. Once sorted use springs (sanctioning bodies require 2) .

Mark

P.S. I get the issue you can run into , as I'm dealing with Dual Quad linkages right now. In my case, it has to be Ford but you still have to have the correct hardware, hoses and parts (including spacer plates)

Ok so I wasn’t sure I trusted using washers in the large hole. If I had the shop equipment to machine out a bushing maybe. What I did was remove the mounting bracket from the intake and mark the angle necessary to elongate the hole and amount of distance I needed. I was able to get close with the drill press elongating the holes and then just slightly bent the bracket back to make up the rest. I still have to compress the linkage a little to connect but now have full throttle motion.

Back