Tilt column 72' Mach

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72’ Mach
I've been looking for a factory tilt column to install in my 72' Mach. Haven't had much luck in the used department. I'm willing to go with a flaming river or ididit unit. It's just that the descriptions are so vague on the universal columns. Has anyone or does anyone know of anybody that could lead me in the right direction who has gone this this avenue. I know there will be wiring issues and also linking the column to the steering box. I really want to make this modification this year. Thanks for all your input. Shoe. :D:huh:

I also would like to go aftermarket as well. When I called Flaming River and Ididit, they said I would would have to use a universal unit. I just don't have the dimensions of the factory column.

I would recommend getting a factory unit...it will bolt right in with no modification to anything.

Try Perogie Brothers...they'll have one for sure, they have everything (somehow). Could be a little spendy, but at least you'll then have a factory tilt!

They show up on Ebay every once in a while.

Pre internet I spent about 5 years hunting one down. All we had back then was newspaper and mag classified ads and a telephone. Hemmings was your friend.

'Perogies" apparently has them in "as-is" condition for about $600, and up. They are pretty durable so they hardly ever need much refurbing.

Be careful getting a 'used/as-is' column from someone that's not in the Mustang community.

I saw a '71 column on ebay for only $400-ish, and snapped it up. It looked great in the pictures, and seemed to work fine when I tested the tilt mechanism out of the car... but when I got it installed, the tilt was locked up tight. After pulling it back out and taking it apart, I discovered the shaft-side of the tilt mechanism had one of the pivots sheared right off, and looked a lot like it had been 'glued' back on.

Fortunately, I was able to build one good column out of my old worn out original and this 'new' broken one (both had damage on completely different parts, lucky for me).

If anybody finds an aftermarket solution - I'm in. My car's got a lot of 'restomod' qualities, so a brand-new column from a reputable aftermarket vendor wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. My pal Jim is using some Uni-Steer products on his '63.5 Galaxie, which so far are WAY better than the Flaming River products he had to send back. I'm hoping they'll have something we can use for our cars - I would love nothing more than to install some more reliable, new technology into my car, since I'll be driving it as much as possible.

Why would someone be opposed to using a U-joint, as opposed to a fail-prone rag-joint, anyway? (Aside from the obvious 'concours' considerations, that is)

Be careful many originals are bad.

Everyone wants to pull on the steering wheel

when they get out and it kills the tilt mechanism.

If it is out of the car you can't tell it's bad.

If it's in the car pull down on the steering wheel.

If is slips it's bad.

Out of 10 or so tilts I have had in parts cars I would

less then half were good.

I just sold a nice 73 one to a forum member for 300.00

71 - 72 versions are around 400.00

Plus make sure you get the rag joint coupler with the column

if you get one.

I think Don means the rag-joint coupler with the pegs - they remain engaged with the other side of the joint if the "donut" ever fails. MUCH safer.

And yes - I whole-heartedly agree. ::thumb::

I have 4 tilt columns for 72-73 if anyone needs one. Seeing there is a need I decided maybe I should quit hoarding them. All of them are 72-73 models, they are pretty tight all of them. I removed them myself and they all have the correct rag joint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back