Tilt Column Rebuild

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sports Roof Fastback (early model)
1973 Coupe -Under rebuild/restore
Hello To All,

I have finalized rebuilding my 1973 Tilt column. But I have one problem. There are 2 springs (3E701) located in the cylinder lock on the upper part of the column. Not sure how they install since mine were missing.

99ky2q.png

As you can see in the Ford Illustration, marked in yellow. The Ford master catalog states that there is a requirement of 2 springs.

Part Number: D0AZ-3E701-A

Request assistance in how the springs are installed with the key lock cylinder.

Thank You

mustang7173 :dodgy:

I just had that apart when I was working on my lock cylinder and the Part 3E701 is a spring clip that hold the washer and the gear cog on. I could be wrong but that is all that was is mine was a spring clip which I believe is part 3E701, holding a washer and gear in place. But it would not surpirise me if I'm missing something in my steering column since I think it was slapped together with a pile of parts from different car when the prior owner pulled it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, mine too (as in, mine has no spring). But, I can see having a small, not very strong spring in there to push the key cylinder outward slightly. IIRC - on most older cars like ours, one must push inward slightly when turning the key to change positions. Nothing too strong - like maybe something only as strong as a small flashlight bulb spring, or something like that.

I might try to find something that will fit around the lower portion of the key cylinder to help it push outward - just for fun, though. It functions without such a spring... but I think it would be better with one.

Hello dexleo2 and Eric,

Thank you for the input. Dexleo2, I believe you are referring to part 3C610. That is the clip ring that holds in the gear cog and washers as you pointed out. The 3E701 spring is , like how and where does this fit in?

mustang7173

Hello dexleo2 and Eric,

Thank you for the input. Dexleo2, I believe you are referring to part 3C610. That is the clip ring that holds in the gear cog and washers as you pointed out. The 3E701 spring is , like how and where does this fit in?

mustang7173
That is a good question and I know I don't have it in my column. So if you do find out something on it please let me know I will be watching this thread, but on a side note its not truely needed because mine was not there when i pulled it apart a couple weeks ago and i have had the car 13 years. But I'm sure there is a reason and purpose for it.

I have done some checking on other forums I belong to that are only fords and there is very little information out there on it. Seems later years have it showing on some exploded views and others dont show it. So im lost. wish i had an answer...

Here is a snapshot from my 1973 Ford Shop manual. It shows the name of the components as well as the part number. They call 3E701 a spring clip like Dexleo2 said. Click the photo once to enlarge and then again to make it larger if needed.

35ids2f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you to all who have responded. I did locate a 2 more pictures showing the 2 3E701 springs.

Standard Column:

ejcpe.png

Tilt Column:

2s5zfxg.png

These pictures do provide a better view of the two springs.

mustang7173

Back