Tilt Steering Column

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
70 Maverick Grabber w/351W & Toploader
71 Mach 1 w/ 429 & T56
Hi guys - just purchased a tilt column and I just noticed something when comparing it to my non-tilt column - the lower portion on the tilt (the vanes  that are meant to collapse) are not covered, whereas the same area on the non-tilt is covered.  Anyone know why?  It looks like that area on the non-tilt is a permanent fixture and not meant to be swapped on or off (ie. not a plastic cover that can be swapped around).  

thx..

I have 5 tilt column cars and they all have the plastic sleeve on the lower part on 72 & 73 models.

The plate on the floor is unique to the tilt column and I think the the rag joint metal parts might be different. Although the Osborne Chassis assembly manual shows the same rag joint part number for either tilt or non tilt but they show a different assembly process. 

The turn signal wiring harness and turn signal switch is different on the 73 model and will not plug into a 71 - 72 harness.

I am not sure about the plastic trim piece that is between the instrument panel and upper part of the column it might be different.

If you need a new turn signal switch I would shy away from NOS. The reason being is the old plastic gets brittle even if NOS just with age. 

Can't get to my pics of columns got lost in computer crash.

I have 5 tilt column cars and they all have the plastic sleeve on the lower part on 72 & 73 models.

The plate on the floor is unique to the tilt column and I think the the rag joint metal parts might be different. Although the Osborne Chassis assembly manual shows the same rag joint part number for either tilt or non tilt but they show a different assembly process. 

The turn signal wiring harness and turn signal switch is different on the 73 model and will not plug into a 71 - 72 harness.

I am not sure about the plastic trim piece that is between the instrument panel and upper part of the column it might be different.

If you need a new turn signal switch I would shy away from NOS. The reason being is the old plastic gets brittle even if NOS just with age. 

Can't get to my pics of columns got lost in computer crash.
How is it possible to remove the cover?  It looks like it is permanently attached.  I tried looking for a way that my non-tilt sleeve could be removed, and there's no way - unless it was cut off.  But why would someone do that?

I was out in the workshop today and took a picture. There are actually two plastic sleeves on the fixed column, one that is taped on over the crush zone, and the other is a big heat-shrink tubing over the actual expanded metal crush zone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was out in the workshop today and took a picture. There are actually two plastic sleeves on the fixed column, one that is taped on over the crush zone, and the other is a big heat-shrink tubing over the actual expanded metal crush zone.

Thanks for taking the pic Don...maybe what I need to do is to take a pic of mine and post.  Like I was saying...I just can't explain why someone would cut that shrink wrap portion off, it'd be useless once it's cut.  When looking at that area, there isn't a single mark from a cutting tool or similar.  So, either the person that removed it was a pro, or it came from the factory like that.  In any case...I'm looking for replacement sleeves that I can shrink on.  My biggest concern was that I wanted to make sure it wasn't supposed to be that way and that covering it wouldn't be a problem.  Couple more questions:

1) Do you (or anyone else that may read this) have or know of a service manual for these columns?  I'm noticing that the rag at the end is very close to the column housing, and I need to inspect the bearings and wiring.

2) Do they make service parts for these columns (rag joints, bearings, etc.)?

3) Why is that little lever with the eyelet at the end of the column for?  I'm assuming it was something to do with a trans lock, but I can't figure out how it worked.  None of this stuff was together when I bought my car.

Thx..

Marc

The Ford shop manual has repair procedures. Yes, rag joints are readily available, you can search our forum and find a lot about them. The bearings and turn signal switch are also available, other parts not so easy to find.

The lever you mentioned is for the transmission lockout, so the transmission has to be in Park (automatics) or Reverse before you can turn the ignition off and remove the key.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marc, I have the Ford manual if you would like to borrow it. It would be hard (but not impossible) to photo copy the relevant pages, so I'm willing to lend you the manual. PM me if interested so we can set something up.

Geoff.

The part number for the tube cover is d1zz 3C611-A and is called Boot-Steering Column Tube. I did a search, but couldn't find it.

You can get a 5-foot long 3-inch ID piece of heat shrink tubing from Grainger for $45.

Back