Timing Specs.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
For the Big Block guys out there.
I've been asked to help a friend get his 429 CJ running. He thinks it's a timing issue. However, my experience is only with 351C's
Questions;
What is the suggested initial timing for a stock 429?
What is the total mechanical timing and at what rpm.
What is the vacuum number to look for.
How different are these motors to the 351C. I have the manual, so I can get the firing order from that.

I'm not sure what the carb is on this, but the goal right now is to get the motor running. I do have a spare 351/429 distributor that I can set up with points for now. I think this car has a factory tach, so I don't want to install an electronic Pertronix as I don't fully understand the tach wiring with an electronic module.
Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

For the Big Block guys out there.
I've been asked to help a friend get his 429 CJ running. He thinks it's a timing issue. However, my experience is only with 351C's
Questions;
What is the suggested initial timing for a stock 429?
What is the total mechanical timing and at what rpm.
What is the vacuum number to look for.
How different are these motors to the 351C. I have the manual, so I can get the firing order from that.

I'm not sure what the carb is on this, but the goal right now is to get the motor running. I do have a spare 351/429 distributor that I can set up with points for now. I think this car has a factory tach, so I don't want to install an electronic Pertronix as I don't fully understand the tach wiring with an electronic module.
Any other suggestions would be most welcome.
I have 460. The 429/460 are the 385 family. Different than the 351's.
For a429cj
Base timing - start at 8 to 10 deg - can work up to 12 if it seems to start and idle ok.
The CJ's have 11.3:1 compression - should run higher octane gas.
Start with 34 mechanical. You can work up from there. Max at 38. Should have all in around 3,000 rpm
With a stock cam your vacuum should be around 17-22. Idle rpm around 750.
Firing order is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

There is a lot of info on these on the 429-460.com site. Just make sure you research the cj's as the base 429 has different specs.

I have 460. The 429/460 are the 385 family. Different than the 351's.
For a429cj
Base timing - start at 8 to 10 deg - can work up to 12 if it seems to start and idle ok.
The CJ's have 11.3:1 compression - should run higher octane gas.
Start with 34 mechanical. You can work up from there. Max at 38. Should have all in around 3,000 rpm
With a stock cam your vacuum should be around 17-22. Idle rpm around 750.
Firing order is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

There is a lot of info on these on the 429-460.com site. Just make sure you research the cj's as the base 429 has different specs.
Thanks Kilgon, that's exactly what I needed to know. I'm putting together a new distributor that I have on hand because I'm pretty sure he has some aftermarket pos. in there. I'm going to prime the motor first anyway, so the dizzy will be out anyway.
I'll let you know how it turns out.
This car has sat for at least 5 years when I last saw it. It's going to be fun!!!!!!

Guys, I have one quick question; Is there a partial VIN on the block similar to the 351C and can it be read with the motor in the car?
Should be just below the head on the driver's side. Can use a mirror to try to see it. Might be partially or all the way under the bellhousing.

Last edited:
Should be just below the head on the driver's side. Can use a mirror to try to see it. Might be partially or all the way under the bellhousing.
Ok thanks. at least that give me a place to look. The guy doesn't seem to know too much about this car, I'm trying to help him understand it.

Back