Tim's 1973 Mach 1 rebuild thread - it's done in 2023 on it's 50th birthday!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats Tim, your work is some of the best that I've seen.......awesome!

Hi Tim

Great job, guess both of us will complete our restoration soon. Would be nice to meet you one day.

cheers

Wolfgang

Very nice! Enjoyed reading this. I had a 73 T5 mach as well. Saved it from the crusher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tim

Great job, guess both of us will complete our restoration soon. Would be nice to meet you one day.

cheers

Wolfgang
Thank you, Wolfgang! Soon is relatively - as it concerns me... ;) Hope to meet you one day, too ::thumb::

Very nice! Enjoyed reading this. I had a 73 T5 mach as well. Saved it from the crusher.
Thank you very much! Cool - where did it go?!? My father has a 73 T5, too - a vert...

Hi Tony,

thank you for your words :thankyouyellow: Great, you appreciate my work!

Yes, no problem: it's 275 / 60 R 15 in the rear and 235 / 60 R 14 in the front on American Racing chromed steel wheels. The offset I do not know but If you want I could measure them in the next weeks...

Hope it helps!

Hi Tony,

thank you for your words :thankyouyellow: Great, you appreciate my work!

Yes, no problem: it's 275 / 60 R 15 in the rear and 235 / 60 R 14 in the front on American Racing chromed steel wheels. The offset I do not know but If you want I could measure them in the next weeks...

Hope it helps!
Thanks... that will be awesome if you can tell me more about your wheel dimensions. Do you have a side shot of your car? I am looking at alternatives of tire sizes. This one is appealing but i know the rear tires would be a little taller than the fronts so I want to get an idea if the difference is noticeable.

1971 M-code Mach 1

I think, the picture above shows perfect how the dimensions are. For my taste it is a little too big in the rear so I will update to 15" all around and a bit smaller in width...

de1u7l.jpg

Mine were also 275-60 in back and I had 225-70 up front, on stock 15" magnums, before this new build. Now they're even taller in back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mustang-fanatics,

it takes a long time to continue but now I am in again! In the meantime I had to manage lots of trouble in my life - now I am on a safe and good road again and I can look into a lucky future. So I have enough power to move that baby a good piece of work forward in every minute I can afford this - with (soon) 3 children now and a beautiful wife not as easy every day... ;)

Here are the updates of the last weeks/months:

After welding I formed the quarter panels back over weeks of painstaking work with cold-tin and aluminum-bondo and tons of dust...

After I was fairly pleased with the result I aligned the holes for the quarter rubber bumper fillers new by welding and fitting them exactly to the new quarter panels

Now I went to the hood - there was a lots of work too because of much too much layers of paint paint, rust on the hood latch catch area and a ripped hood catch bumper area... Lots of sanding and welding too. The weldings were filled - as always - with cold-tin like this

http://www.petec.de/anwendungen/karosserie-verklebungen/karo-zinn-karosserieausgleichsmasse/

Furthermore I cutted the holes for the original tooling hood lock pins from Ohio-Don

http://abload.de/image.php?img=dsc_2753kqu08.jpg[/URL]

Then sanding and straighten the front side of the hood

Back