Tim's 1973 Mach 1 rebuild thread - it's done in 2023 on it's 50th birthday!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's one impressive progress. Awesome (lots of) work!

I'll be studying your doors repair work in details very soon, as I need do the same/similar.

I might PM/spam you with some questions if you don't mind.

[my work is better than that from his body guys in his shop! ]

Obviously there is love involved here :)

That's one impressive progress. Awesome (lots of) work!

I'll be studying your doors repair work in details very soon, as I need do the same/similar.

I might PM/spam you with some questions if you don't mind.

[my work is better than that from his body guys in his shop! ]

Obviously there is love involved here :)
Thank you very much, very appreciated ::thumb:: 

I followed your thread, too, here and there. You deserved your name "Chef-Cooking Fabrice" very well. Impressive work you do in such a small place. I know how it is with our hoods - did mine too from both sides. Some heavy ping-pong table... :p

Will answer your questions anytime. I know my doors now :D

Yes, that must be love - with less than that you cannot do such things in your freetime  :whistling:

[some heavy ping-pong table... Tongue ]

Yes tho, If I ever catch someone playing ping-pong on it, I might get a little bit mad :))

[Will answer your questions anytime. I know my doors now Big Grin]

thx, let's start by a small one. I see you have used some kind of rotisserie to hold/work on them.

I've changed the pins of the hinges on my 73 a few months back and got an idea of the weight but they were with glass, motor, handle etc..

How heavy are they roughly when empty? Should I really think of making/buying such support or is the weight manageable like the deck lid (expecting bits more)?

Last edited by a moderator:
[some heavy ping-pong table... Tongue  ]

Yes tho, If I ever catch someone playing ping-pong on it, I might get a little bit mad :))

[Will answer your questions anytime. I know my doors now Big Grin]

thx, let's start by a small one. I see you have used some kind of rotisserie to hold/work on them.

I've changed the pins of the hinges on my 73 a few months back and got an idea of the weight but they were with glass, motor, handle etc..

How heavy are they roughly when empty? Should I really think of making/buying such support or is the weight manageable like the deck lid (expecting bits more)?

They are not as heavy as the hood but also big and heavy enough. Way more than the light deck lid! For the rough work on them the rotisserie stands are not necessary. But when it gets to the work like grinding, sanding, tinning and bondoing it is very practical to have it in a stand like this. Even for painting, nothing better. So you could do both sides in one paint job! I won't miss one if I would do that anymore...

In addition to the former posted pictures of the painted car with primer and filler I show you some of the trunk area ;) 

After that I primed the door latches and the inner wheel well lips in the back.

Now on holidays for some serious work on the house at home ;)

In the new year I will continue on the finish-sanding...

Hey guys, 

every year again... Oh, wait, it's been two years since then...  :whistling:

Sorry guys, I had to wait on the paint guy that long... Diseases and illness of him and many other not Mustang-related things took their time until everything fitted together like a guy and his Mustang! There were times I did not think I will be able to see a result in years! And there were times I weren't be able to hear the word "Mustang"! 

But: I am back! 

Tadaaaa! It's cold, ähem, gold outside, everywhere, just in time for christmas!  :dancebanana:

My hard work on the panels has paid off! I am very satisfied as was the paint guy! Here are the results, the hood will follow soon... Now there will be more regular updates coming, reassembly is one great thing  :wrench:

First was blocking, blocking, blocking... And more blocking! 

dsc_3300gbkob.jpg

dsc_33047njl6.jpg

dsc_3311vxjil.jpg

dsc_3315jijht.jpg

dsc_3320q3k2l.jpg

dsc_34393akjy.jpg

dsc_3441ojkfz.jpg

dsc_344269j12.jpg

dsc_4033k8kab.jpg

dsc_4043sfjkj.jpg

dsc_4044jqkdk.jpg

dsc_4045p1j56.jpg

dsc_4046j3jsy.jpg

First gold color applied  :biggrin:  

It seemed to have the right shade  :thumb:

dsc_315759ktt.jpg

Then there were more  :heart:

dsc_4592wbj5f.jpg

dsc_4831wykz9.jpg

dsc_4833kljng.jpg

dsc_4834v6jyo.jpg

dsc_4835i2jmz.jpg

Period correct transportation vehicle  :biggrin:

dsc_4836zjjzy.jpg

And now *paradiddle drums* 

img_20201201_154219zpjfq.jpg

img_20201201_1542472hkdq.jpg

img_20201201_15430344jgy.jpg

img_20201201_1543326okna.jpg

img_20201201_15444298k9o.jpg

img_20201201_154548zwky3.jpg

img_20201201_154153zwj4b.jpg

img_20201201_154037rsk3m.jpg

img_20201201_15404876kv3.jpg

I am happy and proud of  :wrench:

The final result is fantastic! 

Xmas could come now  :dancebanana:

More coming soon! 

Hope all of you and your families are well - take care in these times! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tim

welcome back. It's nice to see the progress.

I'm now wondering where I have seen this partial Ford dealership panel on your wall before? :whistling:

As the distance isn't really big, let me know if you are in need of a helping hand.

Cheers Frank

Hi Tim

welcome back. It's nice to see the progress.

I'm now wondering where I have seen this partial Ford dealership panel on your wall before? :whistling:

As the distance isn't really big, let me know if you are in need of a helping hand.

Cheers Frank
Hi Frank, 

thank you very much!

I'm now wondering where I have seen this partial Ford dealership panel on your wall before?
:biggrin:

Hmmm... In a dusty edge of my old garage collecting more dust for years? 

That's a good idea, Frank, thank you. Before I have to punish my wife... If the ol' hood arrives there would be demand for a strong arm or two  :thumb:  And when you are just here we could attach the doors and the trunk lid as well - oh yeah  :whistling:

I will call you :beer:

Back