Tires and Rims

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible
My 72 Vert is coming along! I am finally almost ready to buy Rims and tires. I have narrowed it down to The Magnum 500's and Cragar SS. I would like to do 15 inch rims.  I would like your opinions on these two rims, what size tires will fit and look best and what do you recommend for raised white letter tires.  Let me know the best place to purchase rims and tires. 

Mustang 1 Rear.jpg

Mustang 2 Side.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm running 235/60-15 Cooper Cobra Radial GTs on my 15x7 Magnums.  They have a nice ride and seem to be wearing well. I like the solid white letters better than the outlined white letters, though I don't know if anyone is selling those any longer.  I think the Coopers would look good on either of the wheels you're considering.

Personally, I think the magnums are a little more timeless, whereas the cragars are perhaps a tad more dated. Not necessarily “bad” dated; still very classic, but sort of a period-correct mod. 

Just my .02. 

I went with BFG on Mach. 15x7 with 235s up front and 15x8 shod with 255s rear. I forget the width on my vert but 17s with Dirreza(?) 245R45 all around

Resized_20201011_194007.jpeg

20200301_125615.jpg

Here's one from the Cragar camp.  I have 15x8s up front with 245/60R15 Cooper Cobras, and 15x10s (5.25" backspacing) out back with 295/50R15 Cobras (along with my old school Lakewood traction bars, too).  I love my big ol' fat tires out back.

IMG_20210327_140918858_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210327_140953155_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210327_141016311_HDR.jpg

I'm running 235/60-15 Cooper Cobra Radial GTs on my 15x7 Magnums.  They have a nice ride and seem to be wearing well. I like the solid white letters better than the outlined white letters, though I don't know if anyone is selling those any longer.  I think the Coopers would look good on either of the wheels you're considering.
I appreciate your advice. Who do you recommend for the tires and wheels?

Any particular advice on where to buy the Magnums and what manufacturer is the best? 

I can't recommend where to buy Magnums since mine are original to my car.  I think most of the Mustang parts stores like NPD may have them.  Coker Tire may have them or other choices.  Also, I see them listed in sets on ebay.  Hopefully someone on here will have a good  recommendation for you.

That sounds like a good suggestion. I do like the look of The Coopers paired with The Magnums. What company do you recommend for The Magnums? Anybody on our site? Also, what other spacing or measurements do I need to know for the rims?

Back