Tires

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, matching #'s H Code, Auto
Hello,

Have a 73 convertible with Magnum 500 wheels and currently BF Goodrich Radial TA's.  Have one bad tire and all the tires are 6-7 years old.  Although they look fine and only have 5K miles on them, I am told that for safety/age reasons they should probably be replaced.  The Coopers are raised white letter just like the TA's and cost app. $200 less.  Any opinions on which tire to go with ?  I drive the car app. 1000K per year and it is garaged.  I could just replace the bad tire with a new TA which would be much cheaper, but I would still have 3 tires that are 6-7 years old. Also, any opinion as to the appearance and appropriateness of one tire over the other.  Thanks very much !

Steve

Hello,

Have a 73 convertible with Magnum 500 wheels and currently BF Goodrich Radial TA's.  Have one bad tire and all the tires are 6-7 years old.  Although they look fine and only have 5K miles on them, I am told that for safety/age reasons they should probably be replaced.  The Coopers are raised white letter just like the TA's and cost app. $200 less.  Any opinions on which tire to go with ?  I drive the car app. 1000K per year and it is garaged.  I could just replace the bad tire with a new TA which would be much cheaper, but I would still have 3 tires that are 6-7 years old. Also, any opinion as to the appearance and appropriateness of one tire over the other.  Thanks very much !

Steve
I have both, new in the last couple year's. The Cooper's for the money are the better value IMO. They ride just as good or better then the BFG's. The raised white letter's on the Cooper's show as well also, just do not have the iconic history attached to the brand.  If i budget is an issue, you are good to go with Cooper's IMO...

Hello,

Steve
I have both, new in the last couple year's. The Cooper's for the money are the better value IMO. They ride just as good or better then the BFG's. The raised white letter's on the Cooper's show as well also, just do not have the iconic history attached to the brand.  If i budget is an issue, you are good to go with Cooper's IMO...
THanks for the info.  Can you explain what the "iconic history " is ? Thanks 

steve

Hello,

Steve
THanks for the info.  Can you explain what the "iconic history " is ? Thanks 

steve
I have Coopers on my 71 as well and am very happy with them. 

The Radial TAs have history as they've been around since the late 70's. Not sure when Cooper introduced the Cobra, but they've been making tires a long time as well. Honestly, I could care less about any history with the Radial TA, since they seem to be capitalizing on their brand and "street cred", charging ridiculous sums for a low-tech basic radial tire.

Who told you tires only last 6-7 years? Guess it doesn’t matter, but they are safe up to 10 years. Unless they are really dry rotted and full of cracks they are fine. If they still have good tread left on them then don’t worry they are fine.

I was kinda in the boat as you, but I needed 2 tires. So I just got 2 new BF TA’s. I’m sure the Coopers are a good tire too, but I do like the way the TA’s look on the car. I can definitely feel the difference with new tires in the back. Hooks up better and now I’m not sliding around sharp corners. My old rears were getting pretty worn down. But I gotta take it easy, don’t want to burn up my new ones, for now, lol.

Who told you tires only last 6-7 years? Guess it doesn’t matter, but they are safe up to 10 years. Unless they are really dry rotted and full of cracks they are fine. If they still have good tread left on them then don’t worry they are fine.

I was kinda in the boat as you, but I needed 2 tires. So I just got 2 new BF TA’s. I’m sure the Coopers are a good tire too, but I do like the way the TA’s look on the car. I can definitely feel the difference with new tires in the back. Hooks up better and now I’m not sliding around sharp corners. My old rears were getting pretty worn down. But I gotta take it easy, don’t want to burn up my new ones, for now, lol.

Thanks all for the good advice !

Tires can rot from the inside out due to the air inside oxidizing the rubber. However, i dont know if there is research showing the relationship between the interior versus the exterior condition of aged tires. There is also air on the outside off course. There are many factors that will affect tire aging. Due to these unknowns, the 10 year max rule of thumb is used. I guess the thought is that it is better to be safe than sorry.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Recommendations I've seen range from 6~10 years. How long they last really depends on the environmental conditions and how they're stored. If your car sits a lot in a garage with the tires flat on the concrete, 5~6 years is probably it before they permanently flat spot. If it's driven a fair amount and you use the "tiresaver" curved parking pads, then you can probably go ten years.

IMO, if you have one bad tire and they are already at 6~7 years old, just replace all four, use one of the old ones for a spare and sell the other two on Craigslist. New tires are good insurance, spending the couple hundred extra beats changing a blowout on the side of the road, or having the tire come apart and wrecking a fender or quarter.

Neither the BFG nor Cooper came from factory so your choice. 

I did run BFG when the first came out in the 70's that was the first and last set I bought was not impressed at all. I ran autocross and the course was always the same where we had them. The original Goodyear Polyglas F-70 14" actually did better. With the BFG you lost all the feel of the road. When the car broke loose if you were really pushing it would be gone. I hit concrete curb twice while doing autocross with the BFG and had to change ball joints. 

I just put a new set of Cooper Cobra on my 73 vert and they ride really smooth and I live in the mountains and drove across parkway carving some of the curves and not tire squeal. One of the members was with me. 

On tire life that is a difficult one. I have a 1984 20th. Ann mustang that came with the TRX metric wheels. You might not know but Michelin quit making them shortly after that. You could not get new ones so I got a set of the factory 14" aluminum wheels and replaced. The car is sitting on some of the TRX tires right now that stay pumped up and are from the 80's. 

I also bought a 73 vert that has been sitting for about 15 years now has Goodyears and I pulled it on dolly with the old tires from Dearborn to NC at 70 mph at times and no issues. 

I had the same thing happen with the old tires on my vert one went out and I went with 5 new Coopers. Spare is on steel wheel and Factory Forged on the car. 

I have another car 1950 Ford that has never had a set of tires put on. They are 69 years old and I never have to pump them up. I have not driven in a while but in 1996 I drove over 100 miles on the 4th. of July on the original tires. It has lots to do with UV exposure for sure. Some hold up and some do not.

I went to get the dolly ready for someone to borrow the other day and the spare for it had exploded just laying on the dolly. Steel belts had came out of tire. 

You could keep the BFG for doing burn outs, lol.

Here is pics of the 73 with the coopers. I still need original Ford lugs for the alu. wheels.

Recommendations I've seen range from 6~10 years. How long they last really depends on the environmental conditions and how they're stored. If your car sits a lot in a garage with the tires flat on the concrete, 5~6 years is probably it before they permanently flat spot. If it's driven a fair amount and you use the "tiresaver" curved parking pads, then you can probably go ten years.

IMO, if you have one bad tire and they are already at 6~7 years old, just replace all four, use one of the old ones for a spare and sell the other two on Craigslist. New tires are good insurance, spending the couple hundred extra beats changing a blowout on the side of the road, or having the tire come apart and wrecking a fender or quarter.
Good advice from all ... thanks

Steve

I have always wanted BFGs, however there were absolutely zero 295/50R15s anywhere when I was shoeing my pony.  There were also no Mickey Thompson Sportmans or Mastercraft Avengers anywhere to be found either, so I went with Cooper Cobras.

I'm a raised white letter tire guy myself, and the letters on the tires have a nice font and look to them.  My only complaint is that I cannot get the letters on my fronts clean to save my life.  I'm at the point of taking 400-grit sand-paper to them to hopefully burn thru the brown funk that's currently dulling out my raised white letters (I've literally tried everything: Bleech-White, Purple Power, acid wheel cleaner, SOS pads, Mr. Clean Erasers, etc., etc., etc.).  And it's only the fronts - the rears are just fine.

I'd heard a lot of the complaints from others about the Cobras, and while I'm not likely ever to drive mine in the rain, I can't say I've ever had any of the issues some of the other guys had mentioned (wet traction sucks, primarily).

when in doubt, put as much rubber under the car as possible. if it doesn't fit, raise the suspension :)

I was watching Gas Monkey garage last night and they were redoing Richard's Thomas Crown Affair tribute mustang. I like the look of putting larger diameter A/T tires under the car. looks like they had at least 30" tires on that car. I also like 4wd El Caminos, so maybe you should not trust my judgement...

I wound up with the nickname of "Mister 4x4" for a reason: I've owned 2 Mustangs and one 2WD truck so far in life, the rest have all been 4WD trucks & SUVs.  I know a thing or two about stuffing bigger tires under cars and crankin' up the suspension.  :whistling:

I also like 4x4 El Caminos - because, why not?!  ::thumb::

yeah, I've owned everything from 2007 F250 Diesel with an 8" lift on 37's to my current 1978 F150 Ranger 4x4 with 2" lift, 90 Bronco with 6" lift on 32;s, etc

I'm not into the whole "bagged" look or restoration-mod "stance". I have no problem owning a set of 4x4 wheels/tires for my Mach 1...

Neither the BFG nor Cooper came from factory so your choice. 

I did run BFG when the first came out in the 70's that was the first and last set I bought was not impressed at all. I ran autocross and the course was always the same where we had them. The original Goodyear Polyglas F-70 14" actually did better. With the BFG you lost all the feel of the road. When the car broke loose if you were really pushing it would be gone. I hit concrete curb twice while doing autocross with the BFG and had to change ball joints. 

I just put a new set of Cooper Cobra on my 73 vert and they ride really smooth and I live in the mountains and drove across parkway carving some of the curves and not tire squeal. One of the members was with me. 

On tire life that is a difficult one. I have a 1984 20th. Ann mustang that came with the TRX metric wheels. You might not know but Michelin quit making them shortly after that. You could not get new ones so I got a set of the factory 14" aluminum wheels and replaced. The car is sitting on some of the TRX tires right now that stay pumped up and are from the 80's. 

I also bought a 73 vert that has been sitting for about 15 years now has Goodyears and I pulled it on dolly with the old tires from Dearborn to NC at 70 mph at times and no issues. 

I had the same thing happen with the old tires on my vert one went out and I went with 5 new Coopers. Spare is on steel wheel and Factory Forged on the car. 

I have another car 1950 Ford that has never had a set of tires put on. They are 69 years old and I never have to pump them up. I have not driven in a while but in 1996 I drove over 100 miles on the 4th. of July on the original tires. It has lots to do with UV exposure for sure. Some hold up and some do not.

I went to get the dolly ready for someone to borrow the other day and the spare for it had exploded just laying on the dolly. Steel belts had came out of tire. 

You could keep the BFG for doing burn outs, lol.

Here is pics of the 73 with the coopers. I still need original Ford lugs for the alu. wheels.

Thanks very much !!

Good advice from all ... thanks

Steve
I am not an insurance person. Have none on home or garage would not cars if they did not require. They make millions so must be cheaper to do without, lol.

when in doubt, put as much rubber under the car as possible. if it doesn't fit, raise the suspension :)

I was watching Gas Monkey garage last night and they were redoing Richard's Thomas Crown Affair tribute mustang.  I like the look of putting larger diameter A/T tires under the car.  looks like they had at least 30" tires on that car.  I also like 4wd El Caminos, so maybe you should not trust my judgement...

Oh that is DH car. Why do they have so much trouble getting things to work and set so many on fire, lol. They get all the parts for free you can build a car easy that way. They get all the tools and equipment for garage for free. Just because you have a big mouth, do sorry work and do it wrong first you get free stuff.

Back