TMI Front seat bottom upholstery not fitting well

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
1971 Mustang Mach I
1972 Mexican GT-351
1971 Mustang Convertible
1988 Bronco II
1970 Torino 4 door
Has anyone else come across this? If so, what did you do? I can get the back and two sides secured but the front is loose by at least an inch! Are the seat buns not right? I purchased new ones. Do I just make the best of it by pulling it tight and hog rings thru the vinyl? The entire heavy plastic piece is somewhat pointless here as it is made.20230129_085548.jpg

Has anyone else come across this? If so, what did you do? I can get the back and two sides secured but the front is loose by at least an inch! Are the seat buns not right? I purchased new ones. Do I just make the best of it by pulling it tight and hog rings thru the vinyl? The entire heavy plastic piece is somewhat pointless here as it is made.View attachment 72583
I wish my seat covers came with the plastic channel’s like yours and my originals. I wonder why they make some different and not just make them all the same

Did you install and hog ring the horizontal listing wire to the seat frame at the front?
Admitting guilt and perhaps a feeble mind here. I did not install any listing rods on that seat! I really thought I had. I look at the seating surface and thought "that doesn't look right". I had a few hog rings I had to undo but I took it back off and yet another "I am an idjit" moment. You called it, lol. Ran out of hog rings. More arriving today. Should be able to finish up the upholstery today!

I wish my seat covers came with the plastic channel’s like yours and my originals. I wonder why they make some different and not just make them all the same
Mine are TMI. I can't say for certain but I think the earlier cars were hog ringed. The early 71 vert I parted out used rings. My 72 sprint seats had the plastic clips. You may need to trim them if your seat base looks like this one. The middle plastic tab will not fit correctly on the extra large tab shown in the pic. I trimmed the plastic and will put a ring thru it

Attachments

• 20230131_075633.jpg
    20230131_075633.jpg
    879.3 KB · Views: 0
Back