Tmi one piece molded head liner

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machattack

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang mach 1 351c 4v auto fmx
1968 mustang gt 302 4v 4 speed
Has anyone tried this Tmi one piece molded head liner? Im curious of fit and color matching? Local upholstery shop wants almost 400 to install the O.e style plus the cost of the headliner. Seems a guy could do the one piece himself and save some money in the long run? 

There is a video on YouTube where a guy did it on his chevelle. It’s literally the same steps as the mustang headliner. I just order me a. We headliner this week and will be installing it ASAP. You just need to get some cement glue, 20-30 clips and patience. 

Last winter, I pulled my interior to better insulate my interior ahead of doing a Classic Air install. Since I had it all out, and needed  to insulate the roof/headliner area, I took the dive on the TMI one-piece. I like it, it does hug the roof line and offer added headroom. It also looks good (not stock obviously) but I have no regrets.

Definitely have a helper - it was a bitch wrangling that thing into place by myself, but still possible. The pre-cut holes for the visors and the overhead cabin light were well placed. In fact, I found that the easiest way to align the headliner was to use the screw holes for the light. I put a couple small screws in the dome light holes to hold the headliner in place as I worked my way around and drilled holes for the seat belt anchors and visors. I also kept my existing sail panels, I did not need to entirely remove the old ones. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the input! 

Tmi claims it takes about one hour to install it. So......... I would gather that windshields can stay in. One other question. Is 1971 vermilion considered Dark red or bright red??

Last winter, I pulled my interior to better insulate my interior ahead of doing a Classic Air install. Since I had it all out, and needed  to insulate the roof/headliner area, I took the dive on the TMI one-piece. I like it, it does hug the roof line and offer added headroom. It also looks good (not stock obviously) but I have no regrets.

Definitely have a helper - it was a bitch wrangling that thing into place by myself, but still possible. The pre-cut holes for the visors and the overhead cabin light were well placed. In fact, I found that the easiest way to align the headliner was to use the screw holes for the light. I put a couple small screws in the dome light holes to hold the headliner in place as I worked my way around and drilled holes for the seat belt anchors and visors. I also kept my existing sail panels, I did not need to entirely remove the old ones. Hope that helps.
I am in the process of looking at this for an option. 

the site says it is held in place by trim. Did you use any adheasive in the top and/or did you use stock headliner insulation? 
I like the idea of being able to do this with windows installed. 

No extra adhesive - the edge trim, the front and rear window trim and the dome light & seat belt anchors hold it. Just be careful as you have to drill the belt anchor holes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed mine with all of the windows in. I used a stick on sound deadener so no idea about the stock sound deadener. I still have to install my sail panels and actually may remove my rear windshield to do it properly, I have put on some weight since retirement and it is a tight fit for me to get the sail panels on.  Good luck, if you come up with any helpful hints to install the sail panels, please let us know.

Tom 

Do you by chance have any pics of the one piece headliner installed? I have a hole in mine that luckily is under the visor, but you post kinda caught my eye when you said it gives a little extra headroom. 

Back