Toploader to TKO 600 question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
My car originally came with a 4 speed. I since changed over to the TKO 600 and I'm currently in the middle of wiring up my Holley Super Sniper. I know the TKO 600 has the NSS on the tailshaft, reverse lights on the driver's side and the mechanical speedometer port. 

I noticed my toploader has a 2 pin connector with the exact plug that resembles the reverse lights on the TKO 600. Thing is I believe the reverse lights on the toploader setup was an actual switch that would be engaged by the stick to activate the reverse lights. That connector has a two pin but its two blade style with one going up and down and the other left to right.

If that is correct, what is the connector on the toploader that has to two round pin connector for?

I remember the factory setup had the key lock unless you put the stick in reverse. Will this still be the case with the TKO? Did my factory stick have a neutral safety switch? Where was it located and what did it look like? I don't remember? My plan was to cut the factory harness at the reverse lights and wire them to the TKO 600's two round pin connector.  Not sure about the NSS and the key lock out. Thanks guys.

The toploader reverse light switch was mounted on the shifter. The switch on the driver side in between the 1-2 and 3-4 shift arms was the Transmission Regulated Spark switch, it was used to control the vacuum advance/retard units on the 72 & 73 cars. No NSS or clutch safety switch on the manual trans 71-73s. 

The column lock will not function with the TKO trans, as it has no external linkage to hook to. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok cool. So I can disregard the regulated spark switch. I find it interesting that the connector used for that sensor is exactly like the new reverse lights. Ill just cut the old reverse connector and splice into the new. Now, I'll have to find out unless someone here already knows? Will the TKO 600 function properly without the neutral safety switch connected?

Back