Torsion bar questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jt.db

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Coupe- oddball mystery hand me down thats full of surprises
So! I have a 73 coupe, in which im 90% sure someone tried to replicate a grande out of it. 

Story of the car, bought in 78 by my grandmother, she passed away in january, I get the car, I get it running and driving, car dies.

Now, I'm rebuilding the whole thing, I am 16 so its a big learning process for me! I'm learning how to weld because im going to turn to welding in a new trunk floor & doing rust removal as well.

I didn't want to post in the tutorial thread, since I'm not adding any helpful information on it.

Also, where do you source new bars from? I've been looking everywhere in the wrong places it seems like. This is the only website I've seen that has mentioned them.

Also, where do you source new bars from? I've been looking everywhere in the wrong places it seems like. This is the only website I've seen that has mentioned them.
They are hard to find. Whats wrong with yours? It looks okay in the picture. The coupe and convertible 71-73 Mustang and Cougar use the same bar.  The Cougars actually used two. Our Mustangs have provision for two as well so you can install two if needed, but only one was typically installed. The left and right bars are different from each other.

Try West Coast Classic Cougar...

They are hard to find. Whats wrong with yours? It looks okay in the picture. The coupe and convertible 71-73 Mustang and Cougar use the same bar.  The Cougars actually used two. Our Mustangs have provision for two as well so you can install two if needed, but only one was typically installed. The left and right bars are different from each other.

Try West Coast Classic Cougar...

How do you install them? i got whacked in the face 3 times already so i slammed the trunk shut and gave up! haha

I sincerely wish you luck while replacing the trunk floor. I have done only one on my 71 vert and it was a difficult task for sure. I removed my tail light panel to even get it into place. It needed it anyway. If you do remove the tail light panel be sure to secure the distance between the two fender areas since they will try to move on you. 

Time, patience, and a little luck are all you need.     Ed

I sincerely wish you luck while replacing the trunk floor. I have done only one on my 71 vert and it was a difficult task for sure. I removed my tail light panel to even get it into place. It needed it anyway. If you do remove the tail light panel be sure to secure the distance between the two fender areas since they will try to move on you. 

Time, patience, and a little luck are all you need.     Ed
Look to this video... ;)

Thanks for the help! I started trying to install it, I found the holes that you stick the darn thing into and i was not lucky enough to do it by myself! thing flew out and put another hole in the rusted sheet metal. Now that I understand how to, its gonna be alot easier.

also, do you put in the notched side or just the 90 degree one first ?

Thanks for the help! I started trying to install it, I found the holes that you stick the darn thing into and i was not lucky enough to do it by myself! thing flew out and put another hole in the rusted sheet metal. Now that I understand how to, its gonna be alot easier.

also, do you put in the notched side or just the 90 degree one first ?
First, position the bar roughly in position behind the hinge mechanism with the "L" shaped 90-degree end around the drivers' side where the notches are. Then slip the straight 90-degree end into the hole in the back of the passenger side trunk lid hinge. Make sure the drivers' side is secured into the notch at the 90-degree bend. You can then pull the bar up and into the notch on the drivers' side.  The second notch is usually the best notch to start with. I posted the link for the tool I created that makes the adjustment very easy to do. It takes 20 mins to make the tool but then you have it any time you need it.

The PO had taken the bar out of my 73 vert so when I went to go back I checked the forum and also the Ford manual. After looking at it a while I came up with a new solution. There should already be a post on it here. I have put the pictures back on again.

If I remember correct I put the left side in place in the middle notch and I put a piece of wire around it so it could not jump out. I twisted the bar with a pipe wrench on the R.H. side and got it started in the R.H. hinge. Not much room there so could not get all the way in. I took the Mustang jack and started to wind the spring up and simply pulled it into place with a hook on a seal puller. Was easy.

David

Back