Tough Week here at home

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
It has been a tough week here. Was without power for two days ice storm took down lines and trees had over 20,000 without power.

Then I got a text from my youngest sister on Monday. My middle sister, 75 years old, had fallen getting out of car on Christmas day and broke her hip. It did not require surgery and she had dementia so they could not put her to sleep anyway. They had her in an assisted care facility until it healed. Over last weekend she got sick and could not keep any food down. So they took her back to hospital after three days of throwing up. They did a scan and her tummy had tumors and one was blocking the exit from her stomach.

So was at the hospital on Monday and she knew who I was and was singing with her daughters and being crazy like she always was. By that night they were giving her morphine every 45 min. for the pain. They moved her to Elizabeth House, Hospice care facility on Tuesday.

I got a message to get there ASAP this morning. All of the family was there except my oldest sister and she was on the way from Georgia. We all held her and she took her last breath at 10:30 am today.

So a sad day for sure. I had three sisters two older and one younger. The older sisters gave the boy, me, a hard time always. I hit the sister that passed today in the head with a garden hoe and put a huge cut. My oldest sister was on me about something so I shot her in the eye with my bb gun. Of course dad found his belt and gun went in the closet for weeks.

We will have a memorial service for her on Sunday. She wanted to be cremated and scattered on the beach and in the mountains.

Her husband will be lost. They pretty much grew up together met in high school. They actually met on main street in town drag racing. He had a 1957 Chevy Belair hardtop and we had a 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 hard top. The Ford always beat his and he had two four barrels.

So as we all know life is way too short and we never know when our number will come up.

Cancer is a horrible thing and she had beat it 25 years ago with breast cancer. When her hair cam out she would pull her ball cap off and show everyone the scar where I hit her. She was always laughing and joking, loved the beach, camping and had three girls and a boy all had red hair like their dad. She has gosh I think 9 grand kids.

She use to love to fix deer country style steak and always ask me for more meat. They use to dance all the time back in the 60's and enjoyed life.

In 1961 the new high school opened, West Henderson High. She was in the first graduating class and she played basketball. The team won the North Carolina state championship first year.

She loved to lay in the sun, which we all know is bad, and had an in ground pool at home for the last probably 35 years.

She liked to go on cruises and was always lucky on them. Her husband won talent contest once that paid for the cruise and she won enough to pay for another in bingo.

So going to go through some pictures I have to share with family tonight.

When the Alzheimer's started to show up about 6 years ago it progressed really fast. My mom had it and I know how hard it was on her husband.

No pain now, no pills to take, no cancer to fear and fight at rest and at peace.

Love ya sister will miss you for sure.

wow... very, very sorry for the passing of sis.. and yes cancer is nothing to play with. my wife of 45 yrs passed from it 2 weeks after we found out she had it... nasty stuff

David,

So sorry for your loss. I lost a sister that was only 34 years old in the 90's with ovarian cancer.

Cancer is a tough one, it takes good people.....

Thanks, Jay

Last edited by a moderator:
David, I am very sorry for your loss. My sincere condolences to you and your family. May your Sister rest in peace.

David, sometimes I don't know how you do it.

The loss of your Daughter, all the heath issues you've have to deal with and now the loss of your Sister. No matter how young or old, it's tough to deal with the loss of someone that is close to you. I bet she's glad she had a Brother as good as you in her life (In Spite of the garden hoe incident)!

Please find comfort in knowing that she now has all her memories, no pain and suffering, and that she is now with other loved Family members and that we will all meet again one day.

My Condolences, Prayers, and Thoughts go out to You and your Family.

Back