Trac loc recommendation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 T5 Q-Code 4-Speed
Hey guys,

by changing the clutch I will do my rear end a favour and would be install a trac loc. Which spline should I go, 28"?

I have a 3.50 rear gear, 4 speed manual and 275/60 R15 tires on the back.

Any recommendations? Which should I choose and which points should I pay attention to?

Thanks,

Tim

The Trac loc you get will depend on the number of splines on your axle shafts. You probably do have 28 spline axles, but if it were me I would pull an axle and count the splines before I took a chance on getting the wrong one and have to pay for shipping 3 times.

The Trac loc you get will depend on the number of splines on your axle shafts. You probably do have 28 spline axles, but if it were me I would pull an axle and count the splines before I took a chance on getting the wrong one and have to pay for shipping 3 times.
if they are OEM axles then most likely 28 splines. if you have drum brakes then it's super easy and fast. if you pull out the axle and all of a sudden you see a taper down to a small diameter, then its 28s. only the higher models like boss's had 31 splines from the factory. but who knows what you have under there.

Depends on your axle.

Pull a wheel and look at the axle.

Correction, just remove a hub cap.

mike

Pictures taken from this forum.

Top photo is 28 spline.

28splinenew_small1.jpg

31splinenew_small1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
but if it were me I would pull an axle and count the splines before I took a chance on getting the wrong one and have to pay for shipping 3 times.
Yes, you are right :)

but who knows what you have under there.
Yes, THATS right, who knows - I have had more than one suprise in the past with my big boy - but not every bad... ;)

There is a simple way to check for 28 or 31 spline without pulling an axle ,check this site.

http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm
Thanx, that's cool!

Depends on your axle.

Pull a wheel and look at the axle.

mike

Pictures taken from this forum.

Top photo is 28 spline.
Ok, that helps much!

If so and I have the 28 spline in my back which one would you recommend out there? Which one would be a plug and play trac loc?

Thanx,

Tim

Sure, you can have someone rebuild your 9" rear end and convert it from open differential to a trac-lock differential. You just need the carrier and a rebuild kit that contains all the o-rings, seals and bearings. Jegs and Summit both have kits that include everytnig you need, including the gear oil and ltd slip differential additive.

Plug and play, you don't have to worry about preloads, gear lash, or the crush sleeve, but with your axle shafts out replace the seals in the axle tubes and check your bearings ect. ect. I have not purchased myself yet but I had these recommended to me by a friend and I plan on getting one in the near future.

@auron:

I see, that is a whole easier, plug and play...

But it is also double the money than a carrier and some installation kit :-/

Hmm, I will see if I could realize it the other way or if I will go the easy way like you will also do!

@CZ-75:

That sounds also possible to do and I am not afraid of - on Summit there is a trac-lok unit in this range

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-ctf9tracl28

but what's for the kit - which carrier bearing diameter

2.891 in. or 3.062 in. now :huh:

Under "suggested parts" for this trac-loc unit it is the 2.891 in. What's the right diameter now and from what it depends on??? Any chance to figure it out without dismanteling the whole thing?

It's like mad science now for me ... :dodgy:

Otherwise I do it this way :D :

But this is most often not streetable unfortunately... :dodgy:

Tim

Plug and play, you don't have to worry about preloads, gear lash, or the crush sleeve, but with your axle shafts out replace the seals in the axle tubes and check your bearings ect. ect. I have not purchased myself yet but I had these recommended to me by a friend and I plan on getting one in the near future.
+1 on that. When we replaced my rear end we found a bad axle

bearing and seal. The bearing was frozen and just spinning on the

axle shaft.

mike

P4200316.JPG

@auron:

I see, that is a whole easier, plug and play...

But it is also double the money than a carrier and some installation kit :-/

Hmm, I will see if I could realize it the other way or if I will go the easy way like you will also do!

@CZ-75:

That sounds also possible to do and I am not afraid of - on Summit there is a trac-lok unit in this range

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-ctf9tracl28

but what's for the kit - which carrier bearing diameter

2.891 in. or 3.062 in. now :huh:

Under "suggested parts" for this trac-loc unit it is the 2.891 in. What's the right diameter now and from what it depends on??? Any chance to figure it out without dismanteling the whole thing?

It's like mad science now for me ... :dodgy:

Otherwise I do it this way :D :

Well you have to think, carrier + gears + rebuild kit + time = ??? kinda closes the gap and then only you can answer how much your time is worth.

Back