Track days - brake abuse

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
Was reading Tony-Muscle's post about 100+ mph lift and shake at a track event. Reminded me of some fun I had a few (MANY) years ago.

Back in about 1981 or '82, I was participating with the Boss 351 in some Shelby Meet speed events. See my avatar pic.

After a day of running on Hallett Raceway - our one-and-only Oklahoma road course, I decided to also participate in the next day's drag strip fun in Tulsa.

My driving skills on the road course had apparently abused my brakes so bad that after my first pass through the lights, I had to use all the pavement I could and take the second return road. My brakes had gotten so hot they had warped. It was exciting to slow it down for sure! I remember seeing barbed-wire fence coming ahead and was so happy to have the extra pavement and return lane available. Tony's story reminded me of that experience. Again this was 1981 or 1982. I've learned a little since then. (Some might say - very little. LOL) None the less - good times!

BTW I turned a 14.78 @ 104.9 with some serious wheel spin (street tires after Hallett). After that pass I was in 3rd gear at 7600 rpm! Back then the Tulsa strip had a slight rise in track surface not far out of the starting lights. My car got light and lost traction there.

Ray

Ray, You abused that car endlessly and without mercy. Yeah the old Tulsa track had a dip in it about 350 ft. from the start. Even worse, the left lane start was angled up enough the I rolled back (4 speed) and red lighted BACKWARDS. I called that track everything except a child of God. They had fixed the track by the time I had the tube chassis car, thank goodness. Chuck

Back