Trans Wiring - ID and Bypass Neutral Safety Switch

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Fastback - 351C-4V, Fitech EFI, T56 Magnum 6 Speed
Hello, I got my '72 fastback mid trans swap from auto to a 6 speed manual. The previous owner had cut off the connectors that go to the shifter and I'm not able to tell what is what. I've tried looking through the wiring diagrams, but not having any luck figuring it out. 

Can someone tell me what the different wires do or point me in the right direction? I'd like to bypass the neutral safety switch temporarily as right now I can only start the car by jumping the solenoid. Then when we are getting the trans installed, I need to know what cables do what so I can wire everything in the new trans correctly. 

Thanks for any help with this

There are two red/blue wires: an innie and an outie. Simply tie these two together and you'll have bypassed the NSS.

There are two red/blue wires: an innie and an outie.  Simply tie these two together and you'll have bypassed the NSS.
That worked, Thanks much! Finally able to sit in the car and start it.

Any chance you know what the other cables in that bundle are?

black/red and white/purple are for the backup lamps; the other two (green/blue?) are for seat belt reminder.

Back