Transmision dilemma

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alwazmt

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang convertible
Hey everyone,

Finally getting close to removing my 302 in my 71 'vert. In its place will be a slightly built 351C. The 302 was getting a bit tired, so I suspect the C4 is also tired. Should I rebuild the C4 or opt for an AOD? It looks like more than a few companies out there are selling AOD kits. How hard is this swap? I also looked into a 5 speed TKO swap, but that seems a bit out of my budget. Any other suggestions for a manual swap?

Thanks....

It really depends on what you plan to do with the car. If you plan on taking it on long trips, driving it a lot and holding on to it for a while then then an AOD type upgrade probably makes sense. It may not pay for itself in gas mileage and less engine wear but if you add the comfort of driving then it may be worth it.

If you are going to drive a couple of thousand miles a year and just for fun then it might make more sense to build up a C4 (which can handle a slightly built Cleveland no problem).

What rear end gears do you think you will be happy with? With an AOD you can go a bit more agressive which will make the car quicker.

The other

If your on a budget go with the c4. I have close to 600hp in my 408C stroker and im still running a c4. But I would definitely like an OD tranny in the future or a 5/6 speed.

Hmmm....Montana, heh? Wide open spaces! Go for the AOD. It's not difficult, but it does require some thinking ahead and some tweaks. When you make the call for the AOD, include the valve body that has the built in pressure control so you never have to worry about burning up the unit with incorrect cable adjustment. With the enhanced valve body, the cable adjustment only controls shift points.

thanks for the ideas guys......found out a buddy has a newly rebuilt heavy duty C4. Going to look at that this weekend and make the final call.

Back