Transmission C6 Linkage-Control Assembly help.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
351C Q car
C6 trans
I have a 73 Mach 1 Q code with the C6 transmission. A previous owner has done some "interesting" things to this car. I have attached some pictures of the current transmission configuration as well as the parts I think I need. I have the pan currently pulled and looking for some advice. If I get the correct pieces is this something I can do myself without seriously getting into the transmission? I'm pretty skilled but know literally nothing about rebuilding a transmission. Does anyone have photos of the correct setup they can share? I have some photos but the piece I'm really not finding is the unit that turns on the backup lights. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

TIA

Don

Attachments

• IMG_0505.JPG
    IMG_0505.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0506.JPG
    IMG_0506.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0507.JPG
    IMG_0507.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0935.JPG
    IMG_0935.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0949.JPG
    IMG_0949.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1364.jpg
    IMG_1364.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1366.jpg
    IMG_1366.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1771.jpg
    IMG_1771.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
If you can find one of the correct 70-73 floor shift bellcrank setups, you only need to remove the valve body to perform the swap. Be sure to replace the shift shaft seal and kickdown o-ring during the swap.

An alternative is the 69-earlier part that doesn't have the lever for the column lock rod.

https://www.kentuckymustang.com/shi...tPBtOs-w4eE6Sbj_LN8VfJs_nW_h2QmRoCZQkQAvD_BwE
Some C6 transmission cases don't have the bosses for the NSS fasteners. You can get a shifter with the neutral safety switch mounted internally, which was used on all FMX cars 71-73. I'd check with @OMS or @Motorcity Mustang to see if they have one.

This is the C6 neutral safety switch. I use the FMX switch that mounts to the floor shifter, so I can't say for certain if the C6 version also runs the reverse lights....I suspect it does? The C6 switch slides over the tubular part of the shift lever and engages a groove cut in the tube. Whatever shift lever you go with will have to have that if you intend to use the C6 NSS. 1682693884878.png

The 3 pics across the top appear to be correct floor shifter levers for our cars. It looks like PO used a carriage bolt to join the shift rod to the shift lever. The rod gets a hard rubber/plastic bushing and the pin sort of snaps into that bushing. The pin has a step/shoulder config and a cross pin hole. I'd find that pin...I know they sell the bushings at NPD....maybe the pin too?

Back