Transmission dip stick painted or not?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
The cap on the dip stick is painted yellow and the rest is not painted. Which would be correct from the factory. I am trying to clean up the engine bay.

John J

JohnJ. depends on which one your asking about. If the engine oil dipstick, black handle on the Boss engine, Ford Blue on all other engines. The transmission check stick is a natural finish or phosphate and oil.The power steering pump check stick/cap on my cars are a silver finish (not painted). The yellow handle look is something Ford started in the late 80's.

EDIT...John guess I need to check into getting some glasses. Just as I posted my answer I saw where your post header had "Transmission Dip Stick"!!   :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
JohnJ. depends on which one your asking about. If the engine oil dipstick, black handle on the Boss engine, Ford Blue on all other engines. The transmission check stick is a natural finish or phosphate and oil.The power steering pump check stick/cap on my cars are a silver finish (not painted). The yellow handle look is something Ford started in the late 80's.

EDIT...John guess I need to check into getting some glasses. Just as I posted my answer I saw where your post header had "Transmission Dip Stick"!!   :whistling:
Always good to get a more indepth thorough answer and learn how they were all finished. Thanks Secluff

Here a photo of the dip stick. The cap was painted yellow. Not sure if it was done at the factory or something the PO did. Trying to figure out what it looked like when it came from the factory

John J

IMG_0455.JPG

IMG_0456.JPG

The yellow paint mark on the trans dip stick cap was a factory mark with C4 and C6 transmissions. I don't know if this was the same for an FMX.

All responses have been spot on. C4 & C6 did get the yellow paint on handle. I have not documented a known original FMX to have the yellow so I have not applied to mine.  I do have photo's of C4 and C6 examples

1973 C6

090212 298.JPG

My 72 C-6 dipstick was P&O with a yellow daub. It looked to be original when disassembled. Chuck

Out of curiosity, can you provide me with the part number that's listed on the dipstick.

Would this be the same dipstick installed in either a C4 or C6 transmission?

Thanks!

72 H-code,

The C4 and C6 utilized different dipsticks. Using your 72 as an example, If C4 equipped the dipstick would be Ford part # D1OZ-7A020-B, ID# D1ZP-AA1-AA2, A1A, or A2A.

The C6 would be Ford part # D1AZ-7A020-A   ID# D1AP-AB or D1OP-AB.  Since the dip stick tubes were not stamped with any ID numbers, but were identified by a paint daub or swish?, I won't get into those numbers. In a Ford parts man world 99% of the time, a dip stick was sold because of being lost or broken/damaged and not the tube. There are no color call outs in the MPC for the dip stick and very few for the tubes. The color matching cap and tube was a production line "Thing" much like you see on shocks, driveshafts etc. I've had one FMX transmission in my fleet and it had a blue paint marking on the tube but nothing on the cap.

If restoring your car to level of bkdunha or rackerm's, I would defiantly color code the cap to match the tube color marking. My Money Pits are far from being the level cars that theirs are. Mine has yellow on the tube, but the cap is plain. It could have been a service replacement as a NOS unit I have has no yellow on it either. I acquired my Pewter Mach1 in 1975 and that is how it was equipped and how I have left it.     :D

Thank you for the information guys,

I was asking because I recently bought a FMX that came with this dipstick. I couldn't find any relevant info typing up the part #.

Mine's has D3OP-7AO2O-AA stamped on it. no color mark as it was repainted by PO.

Now, I am on the lookout for a correct FMX dipstick.

Marco, ALL 69-72 Mustangs and Torino's with a FMX used C9OZ-7A020-A (ID# C9OP-7A020-A1). 73-74 Mustang/Torino FMX applications utilized C9AZ-7A020-C (ID# C9AZ-7A020-C1). According to West Coast Classic Cougar, the C9AZ-C dip stick, which is sourced from the full size Ford was the same dip stick, but with a longer handle.

The D3OP-7A020-AA (Part# D3OZ-7A020-A)  you listed is a transmission dip stick for a 73-74 Gran Torino with a C6.

Good luck with your search.

Back