Transmission slip yoke leak - oil seal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikroy57

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
Hi guys,

I have an oil leak just around the slip yoke in the transmission tailhousing. My question is, where can i found the seal replacement part, and how do i replace it ?

The seal i bought doesn't look like the one on the car at all.

On the picture below, i remove the driveshaft/yoke assy.

Thanks !

-erik

IMG_3567.jpg

It looks like some of the numbers are visible on your existing seal, copy them and the brand name down and take them to your parts house. Your other option is to make sure you know what transmission you have and order the part accordingly. Hopefully the transmission identification tag is still on it.

You'll need to hook the seal from the inside and pull it out. I use a slide hammer,  but there is also a claw type that pries them out but I haven't tried one, so don't know how well they work.

Search Results For "Seal Puller" (harborfreight.com)

Ford Toploader used two different output shaft seals, depending on your spline count, neither of which have a dust boot. It's possible that the part you received is for a C4 or C6, which do have a dust boot. 

28 spline - Timken/National 470059 or SKF/Chicago Rawhide 15005 (1.50" OD yoke)

31 spline - Timken/National 473234 or SKF/Chicago Rawhide 16871  (1.687" OD yoke)

You'll need a seal puller, or a deft hand with a screwdriver, to get this type of seal out. I have a Mac Tools puller which has served me well for 25+ years, but is expensive. The closest available I've found is the Mayhew 37019. You hook the small end under the back side of the seal, and tap the 90° bend with a hammer and the seal usually pops right out. The typical "double claw" style are dangerous and just act like a can opener, splitting the seal in multiple places 'til you tear it out with pliers. 

https://www.amazon.com/Mayhew-Pro-37019-Seal-Puller/dp/B008M238HU/ref=asc_df_B008M238HU/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241975700326&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14774333711964023266&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003326&hvtargid=pla-571661940421&psc=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah thanks a lot guys, this made a lot of sense now

I have a 1.500'' yoke, on a RUG AV1.

For what i can read, its C/R 15000 or 15002, and as per Hemikiller i guess C/R stand for Chicago Rahwide.

I will order a National 470059 with the Mayhem puller,

Thanks !

One other thing you might want to check is how loose is the sleeve bearing in the transmission that the yoke rides in. If worn you can pull the tail shaft off and not remove the transmission to change the sleeve. If you do that you can knock the seal out from the inside and not buy the puller. Dan Williams in N.C. has all the toploader parts.

Anyone have any experience with the National oil seal 7692S? Is it the same as the Timken/National 470059 or SKF/Chicago Rawhide 15005 (1.50" OD yoke) with a boot for the yoke?

Back