Tremec upgrade.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
B1
Does anyone have experience with putting a Tremec TKX into a ‘71 ? I’m constantly finding myself looking for an additional gear in my car and would like input regarding the instal and stock shifter location compatibility for this setup. Thanx

Billw69'
Modern driveline will tell you it will fit, and perhaps yours will.
After slightly tweaking motor mounts and motor mount perches, I found that I had to trim the right hand side of the shifter opening slightly (1/4''?).
forward gears were ok, just a little snug trying to get reverse.
I would suggest pre biasing the motor mounts and motor mount perches before you even remove your old transmission.
That should help greatly with actually getting the shifter stub thru the opening when installing the TKX.
I have my own lift and very good transmission jack and still had to man handle the transmission quite a bit to get the rear of the transmission into the shifter opening .
The good part is the full length console fits really good.
Boilermaster

Interesting that it seems that difficult with the TKX which is supposed to be smaller (less height) than the TKO, at least that's what I was told. When I installed my TKO I had no issues fitting the transmission. My only issue is that I had to increase the drivetrain angle slightly to leave enough gap between the tunnel and transmission. I would have thought that with the TKX being of less height it would have fit better. Maybe the difference is that I fit the transmission first and then the engine.
@boilermaster , did you fit the engine and trans at once or separately?

Tony,,
I installed the TKX separately and it was a pain getting the shifter stub thru the shifter opening.
I have advised Billw69 to ( pre jossle) his motor mounts and motor mount perches so the rear of the transmission can be biased somewhat to the left, that should help him, both with install and shifter clearance, I had just a little issue with finding reverse.
Boilermaster

Back