Trim for a vert

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

John J

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
I am looking to replace a corner piece of trim that the boot slides under. Any one know who sells the trim.

John J

OLE PONY

VIP Members
Staff member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Conv.
01 Mustang Bullitt (my son owns now)
04 Oxford White Mach 1
04 Azure Blue Mach 1 (sold)

imusa76

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertable
302 v2 FMX 2.79 rear end
I bought a set on EBay a few years ago, they were mint condition I paid almost $200

I still have my originals in a box, they are pitted but useable, are yours missing and broken? what condition are you looking for?

Thin Lizzy

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1970 Dodge Challenger
I have the same pitting on my chrome hockey stick trim. Was hoping to find something cheap too, can't see how a bit of chrome can cost $346, someone's make a nice margin on that.

imusa76

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertable
302 v2 FMX 2.79 rear end
I just found a set on Ebay search "mustang convertible molding (1971,71,1972,72,1973,73)"

there is a set of badly pitted ones for $295 buy now!!! what is this guy thinking!!!

jeff8877

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q Code Convertible
One thing about getting these re chromed. I think most all of the originals are pitted and will need to be ground down to remove. Since these are pot metal they are very difficult to re chrome. I took mine in to have done for $125 for the pair but after two attempts they gave me my money back. The still ended up with bubbles where the pits had been. Not sure if others have had better luck, but my guys could not get it done without bubbles. They sell brand new repro sets for about $295 at CJ's.

Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
The corrosion is usually caused by the quench tank at the die cast machine when they were first made. You have to monitor the quench tank solution much like you do for a pool. You let the ph go out of spec and you will have under plating corrosion. I am sure you have seen NOS parts that don't look new that is the reason. A really good plating shop can grind out the bad material TIG in new zinc and grind them back down and plate but it for sure is not cheap. That is the reason you can buy a new bumper cheaper than re chrome, labor costs.

Someone with a laser scanner could reverse engineer them and make the from billet aluminum & plate them, not cheap either. The ones on my 73 California car that was always garaged are pitted also. There are probably some pretty good ones out there made when the tanks were fresh and correct mix.

I have one set that the owner put snaps in the hockey sticks and the back stainless piece also so you could snap the boot on. Like the old ones were. It is easier for sure.

David

mpbsr

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
I find this amazing that I found aftermarket ones on ebay around 2 years ago brand new for about $175.

judge

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Sports roof with 3/4 vinyl top. Concourse.
Jeff and others, had mine rechromed, they came out perfect. They drill out all the corrosion and copper plate the pot metal, then they solder up the holes. All for about $100 each at royal silver Norfolk Virginia. Been on for three years still perfect.

OLE PONY

VIP Members
Staff member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Conv.
01 Mustang Bullitt (my son owns now)
04 Oxford White Mach 1
04 Azure Blue Mach 1 (sold)
Jeff and others, had mine rechromed, they came out perfect. They drill out all the corrosion and copper plate the pot metal, then they solder up the holes. All for about $100 each at royal silver Norfolk Virginia. Been on for three years still perfect.
Great lead! I'll put them on my to-do list.

Bill73Ragtop

Long time vintage mustang hobbyist
Reaction score
My Car
1969 Convertible Restomod enhanced.
former owner (25 yrs) of 1973 Convertible, 351c, A/C, RA
That looks like the stainless piece that slips over the back of the seat divider to hold the front of the boot.

IMO, the repro hockey sticks are not a bad price since chrome work here in NY and NW Pa is very expensive. It would cost more to re-chrome than replace with the reproduction pieces. I'm curious as to the fit.