Trim Woes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOTY65

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Grande'
351 Cleveland
FMX Automatic
Ginger Interior
[url=https://ibb.co/whVXj5q][img]https://i.ibb.co/CKgZDRy/IMG-2624.jpg[/img][/url]
I'm in the process of getting the front end back together on my 1972 Grande. It's been no small task that's for sure. Here's what I'm up against right now, maybe one of you guys can save me some time if you've been here before.

I had to replace my entire grille with an aftermarket unit. No Biggy, the replacement actually looks pretty sweet. It would of been sweeter if they would just include all of the parts that go with the grille assembly. I had to order the rims that encircle the headlights and attach to the grille. ( they call them "Headlamp Doors". Not sure why, they don't open or close???)

So anyway, the screw and plastic anchor that hold the ring in place to the grille are not included. The hardware kit was listed with the ring, but sold separately.

The snag is the screw looks correct, but the plastic anchor is WAY too small for the square hole it inserts into. see pic's:

I had vacation time over Christmas and New Years, so I made real good progress reassembling the nose of the car. Again.... many, many hours in the garage!

Then after January 2nd, I got stalled again until yesterday. I had box's of parts laying in waiting for install. Finally got a few hours yesterday.

I had to replace the lower valance panel parking/turn signal lights and was thrilled that new replacement units were available.

I began with attempting to install the driver's side unit. While trying to get the driver's side light lined up to drop in, one of the machine screw studs on the light housing fell off. My immediate reaction as I'm lying on my back under the car was 'NO F-ING WAY"! Come to find out the small machine screw studs are just spot welded onto the housing. The screw does have a fair size flat head on it, but the spot welds were almost worthless. So after studying on it for awhile, I finally drug out my welder and tacked the screws to the housing. I went ahead and did both lights. In hindsight, I'm actually glad it happened because my thinking is it was such a cheap setup, it would of broke later anyway.

I had to replace my Valance panel and drivers fender. Overall, not terribly difficult, but there were, and still is alignment issues that I'm not pleased with and need worked out.

But most of all it's the little snags that drive you nuts.

I bought replacement chrome headlight rims, my opinion is they suck compared to the originals. I had to replace the driver's side headlight bucket assy, and of course the new headlight ring has fit and alignment issues with it. The ring on the passenger side with the original bucket assembly went on just fine without issue.

The grille doesn't come with the chrome plastic "Pony Corral" trim in the center of the grille. Had to order it separate. It's supposed to be a simple snap on unit. Doesn't fit the grille right. So I had to do some epoxy and tie wraps until it sets up.

I love it that we have so many aftermarket reproduction parts available but I'm becoming much more suspicious of the quality when I order parts.

The basic grill should have been a great fit. It is made by Daniel Carpenter and he got the original Ford Tooling. Don't know about the other parts. Who's name was on the labels? I have to do a 72 grill this year myself. Have done some work on headlight buckets and small parts. 

If you find out the Daniel Carpenter made the parts you have issue with get in contact with him and let him know. He will do something to correct the issue for sure. He is not like most of the vendors he does try to get better.

The basic grill should have been a great fit. It is made by Daniel Carpenter and he got the original Ford Tooling. Don't know about the other parts. Who's name was on the labels? I have to do a 72 grill this year myself. Have done some work on headlight buckets and small parts. 

If you find out the Daniel Carpenter made the parts you have issue with get in contact with him and let him know. He will do something to correct the issue for sure. He is not like most of the vendors he does try to get better.

Carpenter does not make a 71-2 standard grille

Last edited by a moderator:
Two "Thumbs Up" on the aftermarket grille.

Comparing it to the grille that was on the car, looked to be an exact match, and it looks awesome. There wasn't any fit or alignment issues at all once I got the headlight buckets where they needed to be for the holes to all line up. I love the grille, and money well spent.

And again, on the grille headlight rims (headlight doors), when I got them I was impressed. High quality, cast aluminum, and they look great. It just puzzled me why they wouldn't include the screw and plastic anchor. Had to order it separate, and then the anchor don't fit.

Here's a peak. There are still alignment adjustments that I need to get to as I continue getting it together.

Who makes them? I thought he got both sets of tooling. I know when he sent the 73 tool to Taiwan to run they polished the cavity on the 73 Mach 1 and now it does not look right. All the ejector pins had been recessed and back angles on the holes to pull the part out of the cavity. They probably thought it needed polish when the finish should have been matte.

Who makes them? I thought he got both sets of tooling. I know when he sent the 73 tool to Taiwan to run they polished the cavity on the 73 Mach 1 and now it does not look right. All the ejector pins had been recessed and back angles on the holes to pull the part out of the cavity. They probably thought it needed polish when the finish should have been matte.
Dynacorn makes them, I did the test fitting work on their grilles back in 2010 - 2011 whenever they started making them

As for the 1973 Mach 1 grille it is MADE IN THE USA .... never heard this long Taiwan story before ?

To the original poster, the new front end parts look good ::thumb::

Last edited by a moderator:
Back