Trouble with ram air fitting on 429

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, if it cleared with performer, it must clear nearly 1/4 inch shorter torker II.

Not sure if you are aware- the ram air air cleaner base for a 429 is different than the aftermarket version- the aftermarket version is for a small block which sits closer to the firewall and requires the seal to be offset forward to line up with the hole in the hood plenum.

I messed around with my Dynacorn repop small block ram air base and removed the adapter flange portion that offsets the seal so that it would work on the big block. This will reduce the height some, maybe enough to work for you?

Small block base, pre-hacking, you can see the section that offsets the seal mounting ring forward:
View attachment 68844

Post-hacking up, the offset section is gone, and the seal mounting ring was removed from the offseting flange and attached directly to the base:
View attachment 68845

Let me know if you want more details as it might not be that clear what I did...

This isn't enough for me because I'm using a Stealth, so I'll need to do something like in the link below which is WAY more involved. So I'm just running a regular open element air cleaner that sticks up inside the RA plenum...

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/stealth_aluminum_intake.htm
That is an interesting option. With the top ring removed, is the base now centered in the ram air chamber, or is it still offset? this could work for low rise 429-460 intake swaps.

Not sure if you are aware- the ram air air cleaner base for a 429 is different than the aftermarket version- the aftermarket version is for a small block which sits closer to the firewall and requires the seal to be offset forward to line up with the hole in the hood plenum.

I messed around with my Dynacorn repop small block ram air base and removed the adapter flange portion that offsets the seal so that it would work on the big block. This will reduce the height some, maybe enough to work for you?

Small block base, pre-hacking, you can see the section that offsets the seal mounting ring forward:
View attachment 68844

Post-hacking up, the offset section is gone, and the seal mounting ring was removed from the offseting flange and attached directly to the base:
View attachment 68845

Let me know if you want more details as it might not be that clear what I did...

This isn't enough for me because I'm using a Stealth, so I'll need to do something like in the link below which is WAY more involved. So I'm just running a regular open element air cleaner that sticks up inside the RA plenum...

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/stealth_aluminum_intake.htm
Thanks I would love to get more details as I’m running an aftermarket ram air cleaner assembly.

I read the torker II is low rise, maybe 1/2 inch taller that stock. Are you using a factory 429 ram air base? Below is a REAL 429 ram base on fleabay. The torkerII is as short as old port-o-sonic intake, some is amiss here. Are you running carb spacer?. I bought old 460 linclon air cleaner base from junk yard, cut out dome , and riveted base to moroso drop base, added a lbracket to rim and presto- clears ram air duct with taller stealthView attachment 69626View attachment 69625
It’s an aftermarket air cleaner and doesn’t look like that original you show. Would you be interested in selling that one?

It’s an aftermarket air cleaner and doesn’t look like that original you show. Would you be interested in selling that one?
wel, it is not mine. I just saw it on ebay, they want 1500$$$

I have a 71 Mach I 429, CJ heads, torker II intake, Holley 770 CFM street avenger carb, aftermarket 429 air cleaner assembly and aftermarket ram air setup. My problem now is the hood needs another 1” or so to close. Does the top circle on the base air cleaner go through the ram air hole in the hood or does it just touch it with the hood closed creating a seal?
View attachment 68728
Is it fiberglass? A gentleman in N.Y.C., fordramair, sells these in fiberglass. He also sells them without the mounting ring bonded so you can set the height for gasket and then bond to base.

Picture 1 of 5
Picture 2 of 5
Picture 3 of 5
Picture 4 of 5
Picture 5 of 5

1971 Mustang 429 CJ ram air base Mach 1 coupe conv Cougar - Picture 1 of 5

1971 Mustang 429 CJ ram air base Mach 1 coupe conv Cougar - Picture 2 of 5

1971 Mustang 429 CJ ram air base Mach 1 coupe conv Cougar - Picture 3 of 5

1971 Mustang 429 CJ ram air base Mach 1 coupe conv Cougar - Picture 4 of 5

1971 Mustang 429 CJ ram air base Mach 1 coupe conv Cougar - Picture 5 of 5

Click to enlarge

Have one to sell?
Sell now

Shop with confidence​

eBay Money Back Guarantee
Get the item you ordered or get your money back.
Learn more- eBay Money Back Guarantee - opens in a new window or tab

Seller information​

1971 Mustang 429 CJ ram air base Mach 1 coupe conv Cougar​

Condition:
UsedUsed

Price:
US $1,495.00
$71.77 for 24 months with PayPal Credit*

Ships from United States
16 watchers
Pickup:
Free local pickup from Levittown, Pennsylvania, United States. | See detailsfor pickup
Shipping:
US $30.00 Standard Shipping | See detailsfor shipping
Located in: Levittown, Pennsylvania, United States
Delivery:
Estimated between Sat, Nov 19 and Fri, Nov 25 to 92882
Includes 10 business days handling time after receipt of cleared payment.

Returns:
Seller does not accept returns | See details- for more information about returns

Payments:
Cash On Pickup

*$71.77 for 24 months. Minimum purchase required. | See terms and apply now- for PayPal Credit, opens in a new window or tab

Earn up to 5x points when you use your eBay Mastercard®. Learn moreabout earning points with eBay Mastercard

Report this itemopens in a new window or tab

Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.
eBay item number:394107554752

Item specifics​

Picture 1 of 5
Picture 2 of 5
Picture 3 of 5
Picture 4 of 5
Picture 5 of 5

1971 Mustang 429 CJ ram air base Mach 1 coupe conv Cougar - Picture 1 of 5

1971 Mustang 429 CJ ram air base Mach 1 coupe conv Cougar - Picture 2 of 5

1971 Mustang 429 CJ ram air base Mach 1 coupe conv Cougar - Picture 3 of 5

1971 Mustang 429 CJ ram air base Mach 1 coupe conv Cougar - Picture 4 of 5

1971 Mustang 429 CJ ram air base Mach 1 coupe conv Cougar - Picture 5 of 5

Click to enlarge

Have one to sell?
Sell now

Shop with confidence​

eBay Money Back Guarantee
Get the item you ordered or get your money back.
Learn more- eBay Money Back Guarantee - opens in a new window or tab

Seller information​

1971 Mustang 429 CJ ram air base Mach 1 coupe conv Cougar​

Condition:
UsedUsed

Price:
US $1,495.00
$71.77 for 24 months with PayPal Credit*

Ships from United States
16 watchers
Pickup:
Free local pickup from Levittown, Pennsylvania, United States. | See detailsfor pickup
Shipping:
US $30.00 Standard Shipping | See detailsfor shipping
Located in: Levittown, Pennsylvania, United States
Delivery:
Estimated between Sat, Nov 19 and Fri, Nov 25 to 92882
Includes 10 business days handling time after receipt of cleared payment.

Returns:
Seller does not accept returns | See details- for more information about returns

Payments:
Cash On Pickup

*$71.77 for 24 months. Minimum purchase required. | See terms and apply now- for PayPal Credit, opens in a new window or tab

Earn up to 5x points when you use your eBay Mastercard®. Learn moreabout earning points with eBay Mastercard

Report this itemopens in a new window or tab

Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.
eBay item number:394107554752

Item specifics​

TRA-428

MRA-428

MRAB-429​
TORINO/COUGAR BIG BLOCK RAM AIR ASSY - FIBERGLASS
390-428
68 1/2 MUSTANG 67-70COUGAR RAM AIR ASSY - FIBERGLASS
390-428

71-73 MUSTANG BIG BLOCK RAM AIR BASE ONLY
No Snorkel
$

$

$440

MRAB-351C​

Correct. Too tall. Two options. Use a stock height intake (i.e. edlebrock performer), or start cutting. I cut my air clear base and the air box to make it fit and function. Generally, all the ford ram air systems of this era wont fit without modification when you go up in intake size.
But the torker II is 1/8 inch shorter than performer? Are we all talking performer OR performer RPM?

That is an interesting option. With the top ring removed, is the base now centered in the ram air chamber, or is it still offset? this could work for low rise 429-460 intake swaps.
Yes, with the offset adapter ring removed the air cleaner to hood seal is now centered on the hood plenum opening if you are using engine mounts that locate the engine in the spot as the original mounts.

Thanks everyone. I disassembled the aftermarket air cleaner. Drilled out the pop rivets to remove the offset from the base and then drilled out the top rim from the offset. Put the top rim on the air cleaner base and it fits!! Will need to cut and weld a taller clearance for the distributer as the cutout is just hitting the top of the two back spark plug wires. I should have went with a shorter MSD distributer. Better than $1500!!

I found this writeup on 1970 Shaker Ram air cleaner base for 302, 302 Boss, 428ci, 390ci, 351W and 351C. It has the measurements, the height most importantly. It came in handy when I added the shaker to my 70 Mach1 with an Edelbrock Air Gap Intake, which is about 1 inch taller than stock, and Holley EFI. I thought it would have some relevance to our 71-73 models too.

The Boss 302 and the 428 CJ bases are the lowest in profile at 5.50". The big block bases will fit the Cleveland 351C and is 3/4" lower in profile, but the base needs to be rotated a few degrees to realign the distributor cut out. On a 1971-73 setup, you would need to make an offset ring for the top of the base to realign (re-center) the base opening to the plenum opening. Also, the snorkel hole will not align which is a good reason the buy the repro without it. On a 69-70 with the shaker realigning the base requires making an offset ring, moving the shaker mounting studs on the base, or drilling new mounting holes in the shaker to reposition it forward and center.

The 302 Boss base may be a better option on a small block since it is also "5.50 tall (3/4" lower than a Stock 351C base) and already has the correct offset and alignment to fit around the Distributor and line up with the plenum. It's a bit pricey though.. https://semomustang.com/products/sh...base-1970-boss-302-mustang-all-metal-usa-made

Instead of spending the big bucks on an original Ford 428ci and then modifying, or an original Boss 302 Base, or a concourse Boss 302 repro, I spent way less on a Scott Drake all-steel big block base with no snorkel port cutout, and spent my time modifying it. I also used a 2" tall air filter to keep the aftermarket filter lid low.
Ram Air Shaker Assembly sizes.jpg

Attachments

• 20211007_180057.jpg
    20211007_180057.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210129_211837.jpg
    20210129_211837.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211007_183350.jpg
    20211007_183350.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • A BOSS 302 Shaker base.jpg
    A BOSS 302 Shaker base.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yes. A 73 had taller captured mounts and shoter mount pedistals to make up for that difference. I used the shorter 71-72 mounts combined with my shorter 73 pedistals. Got me 5/8" down. The rest I took from the air cleaner. I'm not sure what the options are on a 71 429, but it might be worth exploring something similar. I did have to lower my fan shroud, but other than that, it really wasn't a hassle.
Wow, thanks for this post. I am still in the middle of my rebuild and know I will run into the same issue. This will help.

Discussion Starter · #7 · Mar 12, 2005

Few interesting comments from Clubcobra.com
----------------------
Edelbrock Torker II: 3.875"
Edelbrock Performer 460: 4.10"
Edelbrock Performer RPM: 5.48"
Weiand Stealth: 6.0"
Edelbrock Victor 460: 6.30"
----------------------
An

You can add Weiand X-cellerator 7516 to the list 4-1/4 to 5-1/3”. Here is the one I just got back from The460EFIGuys all set up to turn my Cleveland into SEFI with CoP ignition from a 2004 Crown Vic EEC-V

1694307439496.jpeg

Additionally you could plane down the top of your intake manifold evenly on both sides. I believe you will lose some torque if you reduce the distance between the intake of your carb and the heads but if it keeps your air cleaner under the hood???

Last edited:
Back