Trunk and door alignment

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the spoiler a new after market or from 1970's ?  Thinking about its materials or compositions and what plan of attack.
 It was added somewhere along the way.  It is molded fiberglass.  If I use my heat gun and get it up to about 150 degrees I can get it to bend.  Have left it in a jig with clamps for several days.  It will retain the new shape for a few days but then return back to a smiley.

Huh, generally fiberglass will hold its shape well. heat from sun on the black and the way they are mounted tends to let it sag I suppose.

This will sound drastic but it will fix it for life.

Up in the country where you live are a great deal of machine shops. Some one local "hopefully" will have a line bore machine. The line bore machine can bore a very accurate hole length ways through the spoiler. you then can insert a 1/2" rod full length and epoxy it permanently in place. Repair the one end where you inserted the rod. I have not seen the center of of a spoiler. Hopefully its not foam filled? If so this approach probably wont work.

Another way would be to use a router or mill and route a channel on the bottom side then epoxy and mend the channel with fiberglass. Nobody would be the wiser on either repair.

Is the spoiler a new after market or from 1970's ?  Thinking about its materials or compositions and what plan of attack.
 It was added somewhere along the way.  It is molded fiberglass.  If I use my heat gun and get it up to about 150 degrees I can get it to bend.  Have left it in a jig with clamps for several days.  It will retain the new shape for a few days but then return back to a smiley.
The Ford spoilers tended to warp

Did you happen to notice part numbers on the bottom of the pedestals when you had it off?

Ford spoilers were two halves joined together and are hollow

It does look like you are gaining some. I could not see the air vent holes in the gasket on your trunk. Original gaskets and the better replacements have air vent holes so that the trunk shuts easier. Most people slammed them shut so Ford put holes in the tube to let air out. You can heat up a round nail of something and melt them. Here is pic you can see them in an original gasket.

Huh, generally fiberglass will hold its shape well. heat from sun on the black and the way they are mounted tends to let it sag I suppose.

This will sound drastic but it will fix it for life.

Up in the country where you live are a great deal of machine shops. Some one local "hopefully" will have a line bore machine. The line bore machine can bore a very accurate hole length ways through the spoiler. you then can insert a 1/2" rod full length and epoxy it permanently in place. Repair the one end where you inserted the rod. I  have not seen the center of of a spoiler. Hopefully its not foam filled?  If so this approach probably won't work.

Another way would be to use a router or mill and route a channel on the bottom side then epoxy and mend the channel with fiberglass. Nobody would be the wiser on either repair.
 Great minds think alike.  I was thinking of routing a channel and inserting a small piece of T stock into it.  Will save for a later project.

The Ford spoilers tended to warp

Did you happen to notice part numbers on the bottom of the pedestals when you had it off?

Ford spoilers were two halves joined together and are hollow
 Don't recall seeing any numbers but wasn't really looking for them.  Will check next time I have off.

It does look like you are gaining some. I could not see the air vent holes in the gasket on your trunk. Original gaskets and the better replacements have air vent holes so that the trunk shuts easier. Most people slammed them shut so Ford put holes in the tube to let air out. You can heat up a round nail of something and melt them. Here is pic you can see them in an original gasket.
  Thanks for the info.  I'll do yet this weekend.  Trunk is closing fine but wouldn't hurt to have the gasket correct.

I was in garage looking for a Mach 1 trunk lid for someone. I have a couple and like 3 for a vert. When I was looking at them I noticed something. It looks like the pulled or pushed on the two fasteners for the hinge to the lid. Some have bulges and some are flat. I think the moved the material to align the lids. I will get pics off phone tomorrow to better show. I did have two totally rust free fastback trunks in the stash one with spoiler holes the other none. One was a Zeibart has a plug on each side where the sprayed sealer inside.

Back