Trunk and door matching key locks

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Everwood

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang convertible
I am looking for Lock sets for Trunk and door and maybe even glove box that work from one round key for my 71 vert.

i assume that was the original set up.

Can anyone shed light on this as to where i might look.

i see CJ pony has trunk, door, and ignition with square key.

Wayne

On my 72, square key for doors and ignition, round key for trunk. My car doesn’t have locking glove box.
When you look at the keys from the pointed end that will go into the lock cylinder, the square / ignition / door one has the cut outs on the top left, bottom right.  This will match the round access hole in the doors and ignition switch tumblers. 

The rounded / trunk / glovebox has the cut sections on the top right, bottom left to line up the lock access.

My understanding is that these are not interchangeable but there may be a way of reworking the entire mechanism ?

See what others say.

PKJ

On my 71 Convertible the round key is for glove box lock and trunk lock and the square key for doors and ignition. I'd try to avoid using CJPP. 

I'd try Don instead, he'll hook you up  :D

On my 71 Convertible the round key is for glove box lock and trunk lock and the square key for doors and ignition. I'd try to avoid using CJPP. 

I'd try Don instead, he'll hook you up  :D
Interesting. Good to know. i thought door keys were round and matched the trunk.

i'll check Don out.

thanks for the info

Wayne

On my 71 Convertible the round key is for glove box lock and trunk lock and the square key for doors and ignition.

This is how it is for the majority of Fords of that era. Started in the Mustang in '67 and ran through well into the 90's, and possibly much further. I haven't ever owned a newer Ford than a '91 Mustang.

I'd try to avoid using CJPP. 
+1 ::thumb::

One of my previous jobs was with National Lock Cabinet Lock company. 

Two of the largest ignition and lock component producers were actually Briggs & Stratton and Hurd Lock. 

When I was a tool maker I built some tooling for Hurd Lock in Tenn. for Ford. They produced the Ford two way key locks. I am not sure who came up with the idea of the two sided key might have been Hurd or could have been Ford. 

Only one side of the key actually pushes the pin tumblers. So if you have two mustangs you can carry one key that will fit both. You have your hardware store cut the shape for one car on one side of the key blank and cut the different one on the opposite side. File a notch in one side to identify which car.

I added a locking spare tire lock to my Mach 1 so I cut the trunk key to fit the lock on one side and the actual trunk lock on the other. 

If you have to change your ignition switch you can take the locks apart and change the pin tumblers around to keep the doors and ignition matching. I have not done it but it can be done. 

If you ever get locked out of your trunk you can pull back seat out and put long extension on and a 7/16" socket on and take the two bolts out of the latch mounted the the tail light panel to get the trunk open. Last car I bought did not have keys so that is how I got into the trunk.

@Hemikiller

[This is how it is for the majority of Fords of that era. Started in the Mustang in '67 and ran through well into the 90's, and possibly much further. ]

True, my t-bird 93 has the exact same key set as both my mustangs (same for my long gone 91).

I even have by mistake used my 93 key to unlock my 71 and found out it opens the door! I guess they ran out of shapes combos!

One of my previous jobs was with National Lock Cabinet Lock company. 

Two of the largest ignition and lock component producers were actually Briggs & Stratton and Hurd Lock. 

When I was a tool maker I built some tooling for Hurd Lock in Tenn. for Ford. They produced the Ford two way key locks. I am not sure who came up with the idea of the two sided key might have been Hurd or could have been Ford. 

Only one side of the key actually pushes the pin tumblers. So if you have two mustangs you can carry one key that will fit both. You have your hardware store cut the shape for one car on one side of the key blank and cut the different one on the opposite side. File a notch in one side to identify which car.

I added a locking spare tire lock to my Mach 1 so I cut the trunk key to fit the lock on one side and the actual trunk lock on the other. 

If you have to change your ignition switch you can take the locks apart and change the pin tumblers around to keep the doors and ignition matching. I have not done it but it can be done. 

If you ever get locked out of your trunk you can pull back seat out and put long extension on and a 7/16" socket on and take the two bolts out of the latch mounted the the tail light panel to get the trunk open. Last car I bought did not have keys so that is how I got into the trunk.

That is interesting to know.

I talked to Don at Ohio mustang and ordered lock sets from him.

Wayne

Last edited by a moderator:
Back