Trunk question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
The PO fitted a aftermarket trunk lid.

At each end of the lid on the inside there is a flat spot that correspond to flat spots on the body. Was there originally a pair of rubber bumpers each end of the trunk lid?

The PO fitted a aftermarket trunk lid.

At each end of the lid on the inside there is a flat spot that correspond to flat spots on the body. Was there originally a pair of rubber bumpers each end of the trunk lid?
No trunk rubber bumpers for our cars, although early cars have the spots for them

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are having trouble adjusting the trunk it has to be bent and twisted to fit. They did that on the assembly line. You take a block of wood and if you have a low corner put the block in and push the opposite corner down to twist the trunk. The only up down adjustment is the center latch above the gas filler. You can raise and lower the whole rear with it. The hinges are welded so not adjustment there other than fore and aft.

If you did not get the good trunk rubber from Daniel Carpenter it might not have the air vent holes punched in it. That makes the trunk difficult to close also.

If you are having trouble adjusting the trunk it has to be bent and twisted to fit. They did that on the assembly line. You take a block of wood and if you have a low corner put the block in and push the opposite corner down to twist the trunk. The only up down adjustment is the center latch above the gas filler. You can raise and lower the whole rear with it. The hinges are welded so not adjustment there other than fore and aft.

If you did not get the good trunk rubber from Daniel Carpenter it might not have the air vent holes punched in it. That makes the trunk difficult to close also.
Thanks David. I was asking because of the flatted out pieces on body and deck lid. Its a aftermarket lid and wasnt sure if they had rubbers like under the hood. The trunk shuts fine but its been off and on. Just have to pay more attention when lining up. The sprayer asked me the question so i needed to know

Back