Trunk release latch???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredensborg

I like music, languages, weaponry, and freedom.
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
1980 Bronco
A couple modern Fords
Just curios, but has anyone ever tried to rig up some type of trunk release latch on one of our cars? I was just thinking that that might be a handy mod to try and figure out...I don't think it would be too hard to run a cable from the latch to the drivers seat area so you could have a quick open option for when you might be dropping someone off somewhere or picking something up curbside?

I'm planning on using an aftermarket trunk popper and repurpose the keyhole as the new location for the back-up camera.

I'm planning on using an aftermarket trunk popper and repurpose the keyhole as the new location for the back-up camera.
Ooohhh, I like that idea! Especially after my scratch incident with my kids' bikes! Where does the back-up camera screen go in one of our Ponies then?

Mine is currently integrated into the license plate frame, but easily gets blinded by cars behind me with their headlights on. In order to make that work with license plate lights, I had to get some motorcycle LP lights from Twisted Throttle (which are just LEDs inside of LP mounting bolts) because the factory LP light was shining right down into the back-up camera as well. I'll be happy to be able to put the whole license plate thing back together without having to basically strip and resplice everything when changing the plates (since the LED wires run through the LP lights/LP mounting bolts, and have to pass-thru the LP holes as well).

Oh! Sorry... I completely glossed over the 'screen' you included. I have a Pyle Audio monitor that clips onto my rear view mirror, although I'll be replacing it with a newer mirror that has a full screen monitor built-in (the ones offered at the time only had 1"x2" squares embedded in the mirror itself, which seemed practically unusable to me). The screen's description says it's 'mirror quality' when not displaying the camera image, but it's really not. Maybe I'll use it in my Jeep once I get it back on the road, but probably not since I don't really need help with rearward visibility while backing up an old CJ-7... especially, when the roof is off.

interior2.jpg

Newer mirrors with full screen monitors are plentiful these days, and seems like the way to go, IMHO.

Here's one example from a quick search on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/WOLFBOX-Mirror-Backup-Camera-Screen/dp/B0811Q28N6

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Back