Trunk Torsion Rod

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry f117rt, I meant to post these up yesterday. My 73 'vert has only 1 bar:

Trunk Bar Left (Small).JPG

Trunk Bar Right (Small).JPG

Haven't heard of a two torsion bar option, although if there were a fin or wing or whatever on top, it might be understandable.

Doc

Sorry f117rt, I meant to post these up yesterday. My 73 'vert has only 1 bar:

Haven't heard of a two torsion bar option, although if there were a fin or wing or whatever on top, it might be understandable.

Doc
Thanks for your reply!

Been traveling in FL and just came back and finally can aswer.

The 80 deg temp was an awsome break from the low teens in NJ!

It seems kind of odd that there are adjustments on both sides.

I wonder if it would be possible to add an additional bar to compensate for the added weight of the rear spoiler.

Has anyone done this or is it even possible?

To my knowledge all 71-73 Mustangs had two torsion rods. Setting on each side was equal. Tension was adjusted to a setting that the trunk lid just popped open for two inches when unlocked. It did not fly with power all the way to wide open. This was done to protect the hinges and supports.

For cars with a spoiler (that was only the Boss) there was a second set of rods with more tension. Sorry, I do not have the part numbers handy...

Coupes and convertibles only had 1 large rod

All fastbacks had 2 rods

All fastbacks, mach 1's, bosses with spoiler option had two thicker rods

Don

Coupes and convertibles only had 1 large rod

All fastbacks had 2 rods

All fastbacks, mach 1's, bosses with spoiler option had two thicker rods

Don
I have a convertible that, of course, only has one. I'm adding a spoiler as we speak. It seems that the left (drivers) side is sagging a little. Do you think a second torsion rod will help this or is there an adjustment I should be trying to make?

Actually I think I found the answer in another thread...thanks Greg!

Thanks,

John

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a repo spoiler on my 71 vert, I've heard they are lighter. I looked tonight, it only has one spring. I think I did have to adjust it to the max adjustment when installed. Been on two years. No sign of weakening.

I have a repo spoiler on my 71 vert, I've heard they are lighter. I looked tonight, it only has one spring. I think I did have to adjust it to the max adjustment when installed. Been on two years. No sign of weakening.
Great info...I'm headed down the same path!

Thanks and Happy New Year!

John

Back