Trunk wire harness braid

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
1971 Mustang Mach I
1972 Mexican GT-351
1971 Mustang Convertible
1988 Bronco II
1970 Torino 4 door
20210113_173812.jpgfound this link wherein folks say the trunk is harness is vinyl tape wrapped 

I am going to use a 72 coupe harness in my 71 vert. The trunk section has some rotting cloth harness on it as shown in these pics essentially no vinyl tape (I saw one piece that appears to have been used to keep the wires together during assembly). Any idea what is a close relative to this braid? Do I have to un-pin the bulb side and start there or from the connector side past the red and white connectors in the last picture below?

20210113_173807.jpg

20210113_174351.jpg

The braid must be installed as the wire harness is being built; it cannot be slipped on.  The long plastic tube is factory correct, although usually it is broken in half near the license plate wire or missing all-together. 

Rhode Island Wire will put the braiding on an existing harness, but it will run about $250 or so.  I've seen a picture of all their bobbins and loom gear, and it takes up quite a bit of space.  Folks who have used them have been very satisfied.

This braided style split wire loom is as close as you can get and be able to easily install. It doesn't look exactly like the original, but not bad and protects the wiring. 

Amazon.com: Alex Tech 25ft - 3/8 inch Cord Protector Wire Loom Tubing Cable Sleeve Split Sleeving For USB Cable Power Cord Audio Video Cable – Protect Cat From Chewing Cords - Black: Home Improvement

There's also this kind that expands as you push it on, and then after it's on you pull it and stretch it out and it tightens down on the wires, like the old Chinese finger trick. 

Amazon.com: 25ft - 3/8 inch PET Expandable Braided Sleeving – Blackred – Alex Tech braided cable sleeve: Home Improvement

Back