Tubing to the Rear Shoks?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowHorse

Reaction score
My Car
73 Convertible, c6, yellow
351-2v, power top, power windows.
I have interesting tuning connected to both of my rear shocks, on convertible.
Any idea why would this be there and its function?
Rear shock - white with bunch of overspray.
20221113_161315.jpg

Those are called Air Shocks and guys put them on cars in the 1970’s and 80’s to “jack up” the rear for better weight transfer in drag racing, so goes the story. I would remove them and replace th3 with a quality shock (see numerous posts on this site concerning that topic). You might find they were installed because the rear springs needed to be replaced, so they helped with the rear sag.

They are air shocks, the tubing is for pressurizing them, usually to compensate for sagging rear springs. There will likely be a fitting that looks like a tire valve stem in the trunk or under the rear bumper for airing them up.

Good for tearing out the upper shock mount. Might check for some damage there.

They are air shocks, the tubing is for pressurizing them, usually to compensate for sagging rear springs. There will likely be a fitting that looks like a tire valve stem in the trunk or under the rear bumper for airing them up.
Is it aftermarket option or was it part of original as well?
Rear springs are newer

Aftermarket only, not stock. It would be interesting if they are even holding any air pressure.
If it were mine I'd replace them with some new shocks. I run Koni STR.T shocks on mine and am happy with them but there are many good options available. Many like the KYB shocks and they can make recommendations on them.

Your shocks are indeed, air shocks. Being white, I believe they are Gabriel Hi-Jackers. A previous poster was correct, driving around for extended periods of time at full pressure has been known to tear the top shock sheet metal at the body. I tow, and do run those very shocks, however, only to level the trailer, and only to-and-from the event, after, I drop the pressure to the minimum for everyday driving, as my suspension is heavy duty anyway. I would say most everyone don't need, and shouldn't run, those shocks. If one were to really want them, I think a good shop can weld reinforcements ( doubler panels ) to the body behind your back seat, to deal with the increased stress. Again, if you have a street car, you don't need them.

Thank you all for reply. Previous owner did replace the whole buttom of the car and welded in reinforcement after torque boxes, but I doubt he reinforced shock mounts prior to throwing in all new suspension.
Posibly will look at GR2.

Atleast I think its home brew reinforcement...

Attachments

• 20221117_202132.jpg
    20221117_202132.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221117_202139.jpg
    20221117_202139.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back