Two old buddies and a Boss 351 on Power Tour

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GonHuntin

Reaction score
My Car
73 vert
I had visited Power Tour on two previous occasions when it came through Tulsa and Stillwater and always wanted to go. When I heard it was coming through OKC this year I called an old friend and plans were made.

My buddy and I have been friends since 1980 and both of us still have our cars from back then. His a 1969 Mustang and mine a '68 Camaro, but neither were ready for this trip. However, he had a nice Boss 351 in his garage that was up for the ride. We didn't have time to do the entire route, so we planned to join the Tour in OKC and continue on to Wichita and Kansas City. He trailered the car from Iowa to my place, spent the night then hit the road the next morning.

It had been a LONG time since either of us had done a road trip in anything like the Boss......it was like riding in a time machine!! The car made the trip without a hitch (didn't like 91 octane) and was extremely fun to drive, even with 391 gears. I had forgotten how really nice road cars these can be. We enjoyed looking at all the different cars and even saw a couple other 71-73s.

The down side was doing the trip without a/c.......the heat index was well over 110. It wasn't terrible while we were moving, but walking around on the asphalt in Wichita was almost too much fun for a couple of old guys. We had decided early on to cut the trip short and head back to Tulsa to hit the Mid America Shelby Meet. We spent a little time there then loaded the Boss back into the trailer for the ride home.

We hope to do it again but it will be in something with a/c next time!!

unnamed_zps44s5nufi.jpg

Good times. I know that guy too! I remember his 69 coupe very well when he was going to school.

That Boss is nice!

Great guy - good story.

Ray

Good story! The old times include no A/C! I was just telling my daughter last week when her A/C quit working in her car that I was in my mid-30's before I owned a car with A/C.

Good times. I know that guy too! I remember his 69 coupe very well when he was going to school.

That Boss is nice!

Great guy - good story.

Ray
Ray

Ron's coupe is getting a 454ci windsor, a Silver Sport 5 speed and full Gateway suspension......should be a fun ride!!

....it was like riding in a time machine!! The car made the trip without a hitch... ... was extremely fun to drive... ...even saw a couple other 71-73s... ...The down side was doing the trip without a/c.......the heat index was well over 110. It wasn't terrible while we were moving, but walking around on the asphalt ... was almost too much fun for a couple of old guys...

Pretty much spot on for us too... We did the Long Haul in my original condition '73 Mustang Grande Coupe... Was a trip of a lifetime though.

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing the story. I made a trip in 1988 from Colorado Springs, CO to Richmond, VA in a Boss 351. It was August, and the heat was brutal. My Dad was following me in his air conditioned El Camino. I will never forget it, and look back on that trip fondly, as I'm sure you will also.

Beautiful pic of the Boss too!

Nice Boss.

It's nice that you had such a good time. And on the subject of being good road cars...... Yes they are indeed. That's why I use mine almost as a daily driver during the summer. Except for the noise level there is absolutely no compromise to a modern car. (Ok, you gotta count the fun factor in otherwise it doesn't add up. :) )

Back