U Bolts issue

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael O’Harran

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Mustang 351C
Currently Under Restoration
So I ordered through CJ Pony Parts the leaf spring kits which came with U Bolts. I am told that the U Bolts did not fit, they were too tight around the axle. It said OEM replacement fit so I thought I was gonna be good. I looked at NPD for replacements and the comments read about people getting them that fit, but were too short. Anyone know what I actually need and how I can confirm I have the right size for I buy it again? Thanks

You could find a big rig truck parts place near you with a U-bolt machine and have whatever you need made. That is what I ended up doing after I was not happy with the thread fit / tolerance on some mystery import ones I ordered up.

The u-bolt place will need to know the diameter of the axle housing, the diameter of the u-bolt, and how long you want them. Consider if you want to use a lowering block, traction bar or anything else that would add to the length of the bolts needed.

They take a straight threaded blank of the desired length and bend it over a die with a special u-bolt bending machine.

So I ordered through CJ Pony Parts the leaf spring kits which came with U Bolts. I am told that the U Bolts did not fit, they were too tight around the axle. It said OEM replacement fit so I thought I was gonna be good. I looked at NPD for replacements and the comments read about people getting them that fit, but were too short. Anyone know what I actually need and how I can confirm I have the right size for I buy it again? Thanks
Stay away from CJ Pony, they are no longer run by C (Creed) and J (Jay) the new owners do not care about the great reputation CJ had. It is not the enthusiast, professional, knowledgeable customer orientated business it once was. Check the Pennsylvanian BBB, Look at the complaints on the internet, No one answers the phone, Shipping promises are never kept. Large items are drop shipped, call backs for messages take weeks. Returning broken or damaged part is almost impossible. I have been dealing with them when Creed and Jay had a table setup up at the Carlisle Fair Grounds more that 25 years ago. STAY AWAY

Stay away from CJ Pony, they are no longer run by C (Creed) and J (Jay) the new owners do not care about the great reputation CJ had. It is not the enthusiast, professional, knowledgeable customer orientated business it once was. Check the Pennsylvanian BBB, Look at the complaints on the internet, No one answers the phone, Shipping promises are never kept. Large items are drop shipped, call backs for messages take weeks. Returning broken or damaged part is almost impossible. I have been dealing with them when Creed and Jay had a table setup up at the Carlisle Fair Grounds more that 25 years ago. STAY AWAY
Well, I feel like I've purchased the majority of my parts through them because the have the lowest shipping thresholds, easy military discounts and a wide availability of stock. Nearing the end so a little late, but as for customer service, yes they have been extremely lacking. Its had to stay away when you have to piecemeal parts, pay shipping at each and they have better prices, more availability and lower shipping, but I get it. Thanks

I have had plenty of problems with buying things from CJ that were listed as "In Stock" only to find out after paying that they were on backorder. Last couple of years, I placed an order for rear window louvers and the site normally said, "5 - 7 days shipping from manufacturer" or something like that, each time I would order the louvers (3 times in two years), I would receive a message stating delayed shipping, I would call CJ and they would give me an actual date, usually 2 to 3 weeks later. I would wait a week after the date then call them and end up receiving a different date 2 or 3 weeks later. I normally gave them the one more time chance and then if delayed again, I would just cancel my order. It wasn't a big deal getting them at the time because I really wasn't ready for them. Last month, I noticed they site said they were in stock, so I called to verify. They were indeed in stock, so I ordered them and they arrived about 3 days later. The box was damaged, so I inspected and found the louvers bent up. Called and took pictures, the guy on the phone sent me a link to send the pics so I did that. A few days later, I still had no update so I called and spoke to someone else, he looked at the pics and immediately sent out a replacement set and I didn't have to send the damaged ones back. I got the new undamaged ones in 3 days. A week later, I received another set from the first guy I spoke to. Now I have to call them for return shipping on the extra one they sent, maybe I will get lucky and they won't want them back, who knows.

Tom

I have never bought from CJ, mainly because NPD in MI is relatively close. But, I thought I read that CJ was getting out of the earlier Mustang (and other brands) focusing on newer models. Has anyone else heard that?

I have never bought from CJ, mainly because NPD in MI is relatively close. But, I thought I read that CJ was getting out of the earlier Mustang (and other brands) focusing on newer models. Has anyone else heard that?
They certainly have changed for the worse in the last 4 years IMO. When I redid the front suspension with the G-A-T, they actually answered the phone and were helpful to ensure all the correct parts were heading my way. Nowadays, even though my car is attached to my account, it still wants makes me put in MMY, and populates 64.5 to 2019 components I obviously don't want to be "recommended". 😡
NPD and WCCC are mainly where I go now but would support and pay more for anyone that gives great CS.

But wait theres more... as Vintageman expressed, yes they have double shipped many times as well, and also a bit of a PITA to return and wait for credits to hit the CC. 👎🏻

I have had plenty of problems with buying things from CJ that were listed as "In Stock" only to find out after paying that they were on backorder. Last couple of years, I placed an order for rear window louvers and the site normally said, "5 - 7 days shipping from manufacturer" or something like that, each time I would order the louvers (3 times in two years), I would receive a message stating delayed shipping, I would call CJ and they would give me an actual date, usually 2 to 3 weeks later. I would wait a week after the date then call them and end up receiving a different date 2 or 3 weeks later. I normally gave them the one more time chance and then if delayed again, I would just cancel my order. It wasn't a big deal getting them at the time because I really wasn't ready for them. Last month, I noticed they site said they were in stock, so I called to verify. They were indeed in stock, so I ordered them and they arrived about 3 days later. The box was damaged, so I inspected and found the louvers bent up. Called and took pictures, the guy on the phone sent me a link to send the pics so I did that. A few days later, I still had no update so I called and spoke to someone else, he looked at the pics and immediately sent out a replacement set and I didn't have to send the damaged ones back. I got the new undamaged ones in 3 days. A week later, I received another set from the first guy I spoke to. Now I have to call them for return shipping on the extra one they sent, maybe I will get lucky and they won't want them back, who knows.

Tom
But wait again, there is even more after this morning I went to crank her up and my recently CJ purchased (8/'21) Powermaster 75 amp 3wire alt has a clunky screech at startup and idle and the pulley sucks into the body approx 3/16" when I rev her. Just sent them the email with ord # and my observation. Let's see how this goes. At least she's charging so I can enjoy her while I get a replacement regardless of them or another source. Although I believe PM is a good company, If anyone has a better OEM correct replacement made in USA I would appreciate a lead just in case.
TY!

Good luck brother, I hope they warranty it out for you and you get one that holds up. Let us know how it goes.

Tom
I received an email acknowledgement with a ticket # about an hour ago that they are reviewing my situation. Maybe they are following 7173 as I would think all stang parts suppliers would be but if not, and I get jerked around, I will recommend to them they start to! Stay tuned...

Bought once from CJs, as Scott Drake convex mirror for the passenger side. Arrived quickly, so that's something. I won't buy from them based on the hundreds of bad reviews, horror stories and general bad press that dates back fifteen years or better and is all over the 'net. I'd much rather spend my money, even if it's a few bucks more, with a company that seems to GAF about it's customers. Companies like RockAuto, Summit, NPD, Ohio Mustang all have treated me well for decades and will continue to get my business.

Bought once from CJs, as Scott Drake convex mirror for the passenger side. Arrived quickly, so that's something. I won't buy from them based on the hundreds of bad reviews, horror stories and general bad press that dates back fifteen years or better and is all over the 'net. I'd much rather spend my money, even if it's a few bucks more, with a company that seems to GAF about it's customers. Companies like RockAuto, Summit, NPD, Ohio Mustang all have treated me well for decades and will continue to get my business.
Roger that on GAF about CS. Haven't used Ohio yet but will scan their site and maybe open an account.
Side note on earlier past week thread of "what engine do I have" I asked a few mystery q's on 4V heads and don't know if you saw them but would like your take..
Thnx

Back