U Bolts issue

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck brother, I hope they warranty it out for you and you get one that holds up. Let us know how it goes.

Tom
Update.. I won't name her at CJ but she emailed me on Monday to have me send a pic or short video of my issue which I did in a short vid showing the nut and washer are gone as I spun the fan with my finger. I requested a replacement unit as the pulley and fan were sliding in and out on the shaft and I didn't want a nut and lock washer sent to me to install "correctly" since I feel that should have been done at Powermaster before it came to me.
I get it that they should have to contact PW for a WR claim but I didn't hear back from her by 3 CST and then sent her a follow up to check in. Crickets so far but as long as I get one sent to me overnite when they do what they should do (have PM overnight me one from IL) I will be happy to swap it out and return the dud in the same box. Regardless I will still be happy to slap on a nut and washer to limp along until it's resolved by them.

Attachments

• BE680CB4-0A7E-414E-9225-BE01A812D724.jpeg
    BE680CB4-0A7E-414E-9225-BE01A812D724.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
Update.. I won't name her at CJ but she emailed me on Monday to have me send a pic or short video of my issue which I did in a short vid showing the nut and washer are gone as I spun the fan with my finger. I requested a replacement unit as the pulley and fan were sliding in and out on the shaft and I didn't want a nut and lock washer sent to me to install "correctly" since I feel that should have been done at Powermaster before it came to me.
I get it that they should have to contact PW for a WR claim but I didn't hear back from her by 3 CST and then sent her a follow up to check in. Crickets so far but as long as I get one sent to me overnite when they do what they should do (have PM overnight me one from IL) I will be happy to swap it out and return the dud in the same box. Regardless I will still be happy to slap on a nut and washer to limp along until it's resolved by them.
It would be rare for CJ, or most any supplier, to send you a replacement overnight, it is just too expensive to do, especially if the supplier is not the manufacturer, but even manufacturers will usually not do this. The supplier was not a fault for the defective part, the manufacturer was. Unless CJ contact PM, and PM steps up to the plate and ships you one next day and sends a call tag to pick up the defective one, it probably will not happen. I know it sucks, and I feel for you, but for these companies it just does not make business sense. Next day air shipping is EXTREMELY expensive, and no one is in business to loose money. Now, I am sure that they will replace the part, just not at emergency speeds :)

It would be rare for CJ, or most any supplier, to send you a replacement overnight, it is just too expensive to do, especially if the supplier is not the manufacturer, but even manufacturers will usually not do this. The supplier was not a fault for the defective part, the manufacturer was. Unless CJ contact PM, and PM steps up to the plate and ships you one next day and sends a call tag to pick up the defective one, it probably will not happen. I know it sucks, and I feel for you, but for these companies it just does not make business sense. Next day air shipping is EXTREMELY expensive, and no one is in business to loose money. Now, I am sure that they will replace the part, just not at emergency speeds :)
They were quick to charge the card though. PW is suppose to be right over the border from me so we'll see how this real-time 2022 CS experience works. I slapped a washer and nut on it incase I have to tool across town for some pops. 👌🏻

Latest update:
After 3 follow up emails this week on status with no response, I was on a long drive yesterday so I had time to call them. I was on hold a few times through their automated system even asked at one time to do a survey of my experience then, goodbye! click.
Called back and someone actually answered after about 5min.
Here we go...
"looks like she lost the email with the video, let me pm her". Yeah, ok?
"She found it and is contacting the vendor for resolution". Yeah, thats great, her email said she did that on Monday.
"She'll send you a email showing she's contacting the vendor".

Great, thanks alot!

PM fortunately is 40mi from me and 15min from one of mines I'm at so I call them knowing what I'm going to angle for. Cheryl answers on the second ring, I tell her my deal, she puts me on hold to "Little Deuce Coupe", I almost get through the first verse and John in the shop picks up and I tell him my deal and he is concerned how the pulley nut unspun and worried about the shaft, and if the pulley threw the belts, etc. He checks the system, there's no ticket in from CJ on my behalf. He asks for my ship-to info, and bingo, he asks if I am ever around West Chicago. So after all that, he is giving me a plant tour on Monday and showing me their newest OEM styles so I am pretty confident I will be leaving there with a new juice box and a big fan of PM. I'm "lucky" to be near them of course, but now that is customer service. Not sure if joe blow can buy direct but I hope this experience paints the picture of how to not buy a part through a distributor.

Last edited:
OR, order from Eaton Detroit Springs and get the actual replacement ones.
If you have extra leaves,(4.5 or 5), you'll need longer U Bolts.
Exactly what I did for my 73 very. Got the whole kit, springs and all, from Eaton and it just about installed itself lol. Now to throw out the cheap shocks. Any suggestions?😁

Exactly what I did for my 73 very. Got the whole kit, springs and all, from Eaton and it just about installed itself lol. Now to throw out the cheap shocks. Any suggestions?😁
I've been using KYB's, Gas-a-Just to be exact, BUT I'm in process of swapping then out for KYB Excel-G to hopefully give me a little softer ride, less harshness.
Personally, I don't see a need for super expensive shocks unless you're into racing or some other auto sport. A good all round shock will work fine for normal fun driving and no need to break the bank. Rock Auto is where I shop when I can.

Very cool place with old Ford factory presses, and this 1941 pulley lathe, and transitioning into CNC equipment, etc.
John is a good old boy and hooked me up. Like I envisioned, I'm a bigger fan of PM now!

Attachments

• BC0EFF8D-9D57-4A0D-8D90-FE2B987BBCFB.jpeg
    BC0EFF8D-9D57-4A0D-8D90-FE2B987BBCFB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 2C023A70-A51A-4750-AF28-4AE5A3C7086C.jpeg
    2C023A70-A51A-4750-AF28-4AE5A3C7086C.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • B6803254-2FA9-4F5B-917E-9766EBA9F4F7.jpeg
    B6803254-2FA9-4F5B-917E-9766EBA9F4F7.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 9
  • 626D90D6-ADB6-432D-BAC2-25CD2994FAFF.jpeg
    626D90D6-ADB6-432D-BAC2-25CD2994FAFF.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 8038158D-A3D7-404E-9108-540BE64B4457.jpeg
    8038158D-A3D7-404E-9108-540BE64B4457.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 65A6A9E6-E716-40B9-8D24-87943C43788F.jpeg
    65A6A9E6-E716-40B9-8D24-87943C43788F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Reminds me of when I went to one of the ARP factories in CA back in 1999. It seemed that all the equipment that they were using there was World War II surplus. Tons of old machines that looked like that one, from the late 30's to the late 40's. When I was talking to the manager there he told me that most of the California automotive aftermarket manufacturers that started in the 50's and 60's did so with a lot of surplus WW II machinery. I can only imagine how many fasteners those machines at the ARP factory had made back in the 40's for the war effort.

Back