U.K Laws on indicators

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any update on this Pegleg? I'm just interested after stumbling upon this thread. :)
The garage that done all the work for, and issued, M.O.T left the turn signals red(Owner of the garage has owned American cars/trucks all his adult life and now in his early 70's)
Hmmm. It's great that you have an understanding vehicle inspector and all, but if you're pulled over for the infraction - despite having a valid certification - aren't you, or more specifically the vehicle inspector issuing the certificate, at risk for some kind of penalty, fine, etc., because the car was blessed with a known violation?

I'm just curious, because U.S. vehicle inspectors are liable for violations when pursued, and could lose their license, have fines imposed, and other punitive bad things, depending on the severity of the incident the violations are discovered (i.e., resulting vehicle accident with loss of life, etc.). I'm just wondering who takes the brunt if a violation citation is issued - seems like it shouldn't be your fault, since the inspector passed it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm glad you got a 'common sense' solution to your issue (which seems like kind of a nit-picking law, to be honest), but I'd be weary of the potential for something bad to happen since the light configuration is [apparently] still not in compliance with the vehicle code.

I am told by other Classic American owners that if stopped by the police they will just tell you to get them changed.

As for the garage issuing MOT i don't think they would be penalised.

From what i have seen on TV, whether it be right or not, there seems to be a big culture in the US for suing people for vast sums of money for the slightest thing. Here in the UK we don't really have that culture.

The car will be showed at shows once restored. In the meantime it will only be on the road while it goes to mechanics and bodyshop for paint

Hopefully, that'll be the case. I'd be more concerned that you get that one traffic enforcer that isn't so accommodating and decides to write you up - that was my point (being excessively charged, rather than getting sued by our lawsuit-happy society. ;)

Our traffic enforcers tend to place the blame more on the vehicle inspectors, especially when it's obvious the car was simply passed with violations. To which they usually reply, "Hey - it was good when they brought it to me." :shootself:

Sounds like you have a good handle on it, though. ::thumb::

Back