Ugly seat release...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1F03H
1F05M
2F05H
I've just stripped the seats and will blast and prime the frames tomorrow. Has anyone had any luck with chrome or powdercoat on the release lever and latch? I can't see chrome lasting very long. I've ordered replacement knobs and bumpers.

...Mickus

latch and lever.JPG

I sand blast mine then, spray with pospho treatment. I buy it at home depot in the paint section. It's green liquid. Spray on wipe off after a few minutes. Use on hood hinges, shock tower caps, power steering bracket and other natural unpainted parts.

mickus

Do you have anybody in Australia that can do ceramic coating? That will the strongest coating that can withstand the rigors of opening and closing on part.

mustang7173

Hey the zinc with clear chromate lasted over 40 years. Here you can get that pretty easy and it is cheap because it is barrel plated. Can also get nickel that is not as shiny as chrome especially if you blast the parts. Paint will always be sticky and not move easily that is why they plate or phosphate so they move easily.

Someone mentioned the phosphate coating never seen an aerosol I will check out. I use a tank that is heated to do hinges, hood latches, parking brake and such.

David

Thanks Judge, Norm and David for your suggestions. After a little research I headed down the ceramic path. There is a local high performance ceramic shop (CIC) here and every coupla weeks they coat guns with Cerakote (armour black) and offered to throw in my bits with the next batch.

This is after a little sweat equity:

IMG_7390.jpg

Cerakote, beautiful!

IMG_7508.jpg

...Mickus

Last edited by a moderator:
mickus

Looks good. I have ceramic coated a lot of the front end sheet metal parts, head lamp buckets, hood hinges, hood latch, hood catch, and associated parts. They will never fade or have to be coated again. It should out last me!!

mustang7173

Back